Bat House - Batmans Retreat

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaddyRedman

Reaction score
Never built a house for bats, although had my hand in building a few houses over the years.
Job last year was demolishing garage that housed lesser horseshoed bats in the spring to autumn and they hibernate in a local quarry over winter. So bat protection said we had to build them a home and they came up with the mother of all bat houses.
Made from 10" x 8" oak beams, weighing in at over four tonnes, stood on a concrete sub structure and landscaped after by the stone mason. Left the roofing and lead work to the roofers, whilst mig welding steel is childs play, lead welding is definitely not my forte.
This thing is insulated, fire boarded and plasterboard on the underside as well as a hot box in the eaves, just in case the bats get a bit parky :lol:

fjhhg0.jpg

34nk0t3.jpg

250v9li.jpg

wvehx2.jpg

2pzd9c2.jpg

15ry2vn.jpg

15ekako.jpg

25s3csm.jpg

jg3x43.jpg

2zrhzjm.jpg

4hvdad.jpg

that is brilliant. any bat would be happy to call that home!

Theres a few million refugees that would be happy to call that home :shock: :shock:

Wow! That's a serious size bat house! Is the inside area all just one big open space? How many bats are they expecting to live in there?

Why do I see a roadside stand with a sign saying "Bat Guano 1£ a Kilo. BYOB (Bring Your Own Bucket)" in your future?

Nice work.
Pete

Back