bass guitar

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So it is! Thanks for that.

1974-Rickenbacker-4001-Bass-Mapleglo-Big.jpg

So what is the chrome thing - just a hand-rest over the strings? The bridge is back with the tailpiece thing isn't it?

The early rick instruments had a pickup which wrapped around the strings, comprised of 2 horseshoe shaped magnets. Modern ricks use a pickup which is designed to look similar, but (IIRC) isn't actually a horseshoe pickup. The chrome cover is mostly for use as a handrest.

late here sorry... agree commercial neck which started life on a different body, pattern (copy) Precision split p'ups. Bridge is shot. The rubber bits were to damp the sustain (a la Motown James Jamerson sound... a true giant in the history of the electric bass =D> ). Most later players dumped the foam, which was originally a factory fit on the Precision bridge cover. New bridge, BUT take care to select the string spacing to suit the neck. The you are off, I reckon. And some nice roundwound strings... D'Addario are HOT!!

Well done indeed for saving it.

(edit) just copped the Rikie 4001 (Jacob)... wow, they were fairly cool. The metal wrap over the back pick-up was to close the mag field all around the strings. The back p/up overpowered the front by a mile (there was a 4000 that didn't have a front p/up at all). This is what made the 4001 famous - a very bright cutting sound, maybe best known in the hands of Chris Squire of Yes. Also 'famous' for a neck that was tricky to keep straight, with twin truss-rods and an extremely thin profile. (Start me on electric basses, I am off... sorry.)

Jacob":7xbzwlzp said:
Actually I'm quite happy to hear people bashing out a tune however badly, even the recorder.
What a lot of listeners don't realise is that the pleasure of playing may be for the player, not the audience.

What - an activity for its own sake, at the whim and fancy of oneself, with no goal save the pleasure of doing?
Such a radical concept, it almost deserves its own name, it sounds wonderful! :lol: :lol: :lol:

BugBear (off to try it immediately)

bugbear":3meuxqds said:
Jacob":3meuxqds said:
Actually I'm quite happy to hear people bashing out a tune however badly, even the recorder.
What a lot of listeners don't realise is that the pleasure of playing may be for the player, not the audience.

What - an activity for its own sake, at the whim and fancy of oneself, with no goal save the pleasure of doing?
Such a radical concept, it almost deserves its own name, it sounds wonderful! :lol: :lol: :lol:

BugBear (off to try it immediately)
Glad you like the idea.
It's the same with woodwork - it's much more important to get stuck in and have a go, however pathetic the results, rather than wittering on about whether or not your kit is any good and spending all day "tuning". :lol:
Have a go - it's a gear freak's paradise! If you don't like the sounds you make you could always collect instruments and polish them.

Jacob":vw01ayfr said:
Have a go - it's a gear freak's paradise! If you don't like the sounds you make you could always collect instruments and polish them etc. A lot of people do just that. Hmm, a bit like woodwork!

So how many instruments have you got?

I've got LOADS!

BugBear (off to count)

bugbear":ometg2x6 said:
Jacob":ometg2x6 said:
Have a go - it's a gear freak's paradise! If you don't like the sounds you make you could always collect instruments and polish them etc. A lot of people do just that. Hmm, a bit like woodwork!

I've got LOADS!

Surprise surprise! :roll:
So you've got them, but do you play them?

Jacob":2ft54t9s said:
bugbear":2ft54t9s said:
Jacob":2ft54t9s said:

I've got LOADS!

Surprise surprise! :roll:
So you've got them, but do you play them?

I've played keyboards since I was 4 years old, and I ain't stopping now!

SpeakOutRickWakemanKboards.jpg

(that's not me...)

But you didn't answer how many instruments you've got, or play. You're not hiding anything are you... ? :D :D :D

BugBear

Jacob said: "Glad you like the idea.
It's the same with woodwork - it's much more important to get stuck in and have a go, however pathetic the results, rather than wittering on about whether or not your kit is any good and spending all day "tuning". "

Jacob, you say a lot that I think is good*, but this is the best one so far for me. And I am being totally serious. Rock-solid wisdom indeed.
(*steady on. I didn't say all, did I??)

Back