Basic worktop thickness question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LyNx

Established Member
Reaction score
Reading about building homemade router tables etc and i notice alot of people are laminating different thickness of material to achieve the required top thickness ie 3x12mm or 2x18mm for 36mm tops.

Silly question, but why not use thicker 38 - 40 - 50mm MDF and save the trouble, or is it hard to get hold of to the hobbyist I plan on using 38mm MDF or HDF for my overtops.

LyNx

Principally I think it's due to the marginally (?) higher cost of thicker board if you're not buying in bulk and also availability. This link will give a good idea of what's available http://www.richardrussell.co.uk/view_stock.cfm?sec=3 although I think this supplier is directed more at those buying more than just the odd bit.
I wouldn't have thought there are any particular strength advantages of laminating MDF but I may be wrong on this point.

I think its based on the fact that not many people will have a use for the remaining 6'x4' bit that is left once they have cut their worktop off an 8x4 sheet. Plus they are 'king heavyto offload even with two people.

Jason

edmund":8vtqd7h7 said:
I wouldn't have thought there are any particular strength advantages of laminating MDF but I may be wrong on this point.

I'm not sure about that, I think that the surfaces are much more compressed than the centre, so are stronger and stiffer. I'm no expert on MDF though.

If laminating I would be worried adout getting the center of the panels squeezed together as well as the edges, OK if you have got a large press or vacuum bag.

Jason

It may be because i take for granted the pallets of MDF and chipboard offcuts that pass my window towards the skip. So i have an endless supply of sheet material. I never really had the problem but i can understand to hassle of trying to source larger sheet sizes.

I'll get a photo posted of the ammount of offcuts that go into the skip on a daily basis, it's make you cry :shock:

LyNx

You are so lucky LyNx. I go to the tip on a regular basis, and there is hardly ever any wood. I sometimes have to resort to buying furniture, and shelfs, etc, that Isn't worth restoring.

ATB Gary.

Back