Basic tools....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jameshow

Established Member
Reaction score
Not sure it's been covered, but what basic tools would you buy for a new workshop?

I'm kitting out a new men's shed and thinking of tools I might need.

We have been itinerant for a while so have some tools.

Night be of use to others....

Saws tenon / panels

Planes 3,4,5

Cordless drills

Set squares

Tapes

Hammers / mallets

Chisels

Screwdrivers

Vices clamps work benches.

Power tools-

Pillar drill

Table saw

Bandsaw

Jigsaw

Lathe.

Try square, NOT set square. TBH a 300mm combination square, such as a Bahco is far more useful for general work than a try square (can be used to mark out square cuts, mitre cuts, test for square, mark out patallels such as hinge recesses, check depths, transfer measurements without measuring - more accurate)

I think I'd add a jigsaw and a portable circular saw, and maybe a sander

What are you doing about extension cables?

Yes Tri squares.

I like the bahco ones too.

Jigsaw of course and circular saw although we try and limit thier use for h&s reasons.

We have temp power from the main building

Cheers James

Pliers, pincers, tape measures, sharpening kit, shooting board, vacs, more clamps, then even more clamps. I assume folks bring their own consumables like s paper and glues.

Is there f clamps in lidl at this very minute?
I have bought a bin full of the largest size, and rate them mens shed indestructible!.
I haven't tested out the other two smaller sizes, to see if the screw heads might fall off.
(the Achillies heel of many a clamp)
Might get one or two today if the vices are sold out, or not the same as the old one I have.

Get'em before the pencil pushers decide to cheap out on them.
They have already changed supplier, come with a handle not quite as grippy, and thread is a few mm shorter, still plenty long throw on them though, I would be peed off if they were not still suitable.

Steel rulers. lots of them including a meter rule. Stay away from supermarket tools and buy the best as you can afford them. As I've posted elsewhere splurge for a Mitutoya vernier gauge as that Chinese vernier will only last about six months.

I've a nice block plane - I think I've used it twice in about thirty years. These lists are a bit of a slippery slope.:)
Go fit a door, or better several, or a kitchen. In fact go fit anything and you'll find out how useful a block plane really is. I've been using mine today to final fit about a dozen front doors. It isn't possible for me to hold onto a door with one hand and use a smoothing plane in the other on account of my deficit in the arms department (I only have two)

Is there f clamps in lidl at this very minute?
I have bought a bin full of the largest size, and rate them mens shed indestructible!.
I haven't tested out the other two smaller sizes, to see if the screw heads might fall off.
(the Achillies heel of many a clamp)
Might get one or two today if the vices are sold out, or not the same as the old one I have.

Get'em before the pencil pushers decide to cheap out on them.
They have already changed supplier, come with a handle not quite as grippy, and thread is a few mm shorter, still plenty long throw on them though, I would be peed off if they were not still suitable.

All three sizes are going to be available in Lidl from 26th September

Go fit a door, or better several, or a kitchen. In fact go fit anything and you'll find out how useful a block plane really is. I've been using mine today to final fit about a dozen front doors. It isn't possible for me to hold onto a door with one hand and use a smoothing plane in the other on account of my deficit in the arms department (I only have two)
I use mine out and about all the time. Mines a faithful cheapy!

Cheers James

How about a bench?
a bench vise
Router plane
Compass (360 degrees )
Compasses
Shoulder plane
Planer/thicknesser
Morticer
Sliding compound mitre saw
Spindle moulder

This was the TOPs C&G kit we were issued with on release:

Toolbox - made week 5
5 1/2 Record jack plane
Good quality Sanderson & Kayser saws:
26" hand saw 6tpi
22" panel saw 10tpi
14" tenon saw 14tpi
3 Marples firmer chisels 1" 3/4" 1/2"
Rabone Combination square
Whitehill 16oz claw hammer
Nail pullers (Footprint?)
sliding bevel (poor quality)
double sided oil stone - box made week 6
big screwdriver
small screwdriver
2 ft boxwood rule
nail punch
brace & bit (one 32mm bit for yale locks
mallet
S&J carpenters axe
marking gauge
bradawl
brass face marples spirit level
plumb bob

Still got them all except the boxwood rule and a few things replaced
5m tape and Block plane 220 perhaps the most important early additions

Paring chisel too for door fitting - it reaches the parts other tools can't reach and with one hand.
Used to scribe stuff with the carpenters axe followed by the block plane.

Curiously I have only two arms, but manage perfectly well with a smoother. This is why lists like this are really a bit pointless - what works for one person doesn't necesarily do so for another. It doesn't make anyone right or wrong. No doubt someone will say a bradawl is necessary - I haven't owned or used one in in 55 years of buying and using tools.

Curiously I have only two arms, but manage perfectly well with a smoother. This is why lists like this are really a bit pointless - what works for one person doesn't necesarily do so for another. It doesn't make anyone right or wrong. No doubt someone will say a bradawl is necessary - I haven't owned or used one in in 55 years of buying and using tools.
2 bradawls are essential. You can hang a door on one bradawl (and a wedge) while you use the other starting holes for the other screws.
I thought the Tops course selection (above) was pretty well thought out - they all got well used

Latest posts

Back