Basic tools....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well Im afraid it was all rather academic, the chap sold it despite me saying I would take it,,I suppose the buyer could pick it up straight away, anyway its far from wasted effort as I now have a much better idea of what Im looking at, once again, many thanks to you all,
Steve.

There's quite a few no.4's on the bay for half, or just over half that asking price.
I wouldn't be put off a bit of surface rust, will come off with a lick.
Easier to fettle than a shiny one with a sole possibly needing a lot of work.

There's quite a few no.4's on the bay for half, or just over half that asking price.
I wouldn't be put off a bit of surface rust, will come off with a lick.
Easier to fettle than a shiny one with a sole possibly needing a lot of work.
It's generally a myth about soles needing a lot of work. It's just one of the modern sharpeners' rituals and keeps them happy.
I've only ever had one plane where anything seriously needed doing more than just removal of rust and other roughness due to damage etc. It was a Stanley 7 with a pronounced concave sole. I've even had a new "Faithfull" with perfect sole and blade, but everything else badly done making it unusable

Seems to me folks have been trying to flatten planes for a long time,
should one come across umpteen job lots of thin soled planes with full length irons.
So I don't believe it's a modern sharpening thing Jacob.

Tom

Seems to me folks have been trying to flatten planes for a long time,
should one come across umpteen job lots of thin soled planes with full length irons.
So I don't believe it's a modern sharpening thing Jacob.

Tom
Well yes saw you photos earlier. Unusual to see so many wrecked planes and wonder if there was a back story, where did you get them from?
Strange that people couldn't actually flatten them without destroying them.
I've never seen a "thin soled"plane.

I could probably easily find another few collections of planes in that condition on the bay or google.
It's not unusual, but maybe a bit more uncommon these days, as folks are taking them to bits now instead.
A lot more parts listed like the bare castings for instance, than when I was shopping even just a few years ago.
Seen quite a few full length irons too while I had a quick look,
Using buy it now filter, uk only, used, and cheapest first, you can see for yourself.

Pure speculation on my part, but as said can find you some more job lots if you like.

Tom

I could probably easily find another few collections of planes in that condition on the bay or google.
It's not unusual, but maybe a bit more uncommon these days, as folks are taking them to bits now instead.
A lot more parts listed like the bare castings for instance, than when I was shopping even just a few years ago.
Seen quite a few full length irons too while I had a quick look,
Using buy it now filter, uk only, used, and cheapest first, you can see for yourself.

Pure speculation on my part, but as said can find you some more job lots if you like.

Tom
I reckon they come from dubious gurus giving dodgy plane flattening lessons!
I've deliberately bought some rusty ruins out of interest to see how much you need to do to get them going again, but never a particularly un flat sole amongst them.

Latest posts

Back