• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Basic tools....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Jameshow

Established Member
Reaction score
Not sure it's been covered, but what basic tools would you buy for a new workshop?

I'm kitting out a new men's shed and thinking of tools I might need.

We have been itinerant for a while so have some tools.

Night be of use to others....

Saws tenon / panels

Planes 3,4,5

Cordless drills

Set squares

Tapes

Hammers / mallets

Chisels

Screwdrivers

Vices clamps work benches.

Power tools-

Pillar drill

Table saw

Bandsaw

Jigsaw

Lathe.

JobandKnock

Amateur curmudgeon
Reaction score
Try square, NOT set square. TBH a 300mm combination square, such as a Bahco is far more useful for general work than a try square (can be used to mark out square cuts, mitre cuts, test for square, mark out patallels such as hinge recesses, check depths, transfer measurements without measuring - more accurate)

I think I'd add a jigsaw and a portable circular saw, and maybe a sander

What are you doing about extension cables?

Jameshow

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes Tri squares.

I like the bahco ones too.

Jigsaw of course and circular saw although we try and limit thier use for h&s reasons.

We have temp power from the main building

Cheers James

mikej460

Established Member
Reaction score
Rulers
Compressor & nail gun
Router & table plus cutters
Trim Router

skeetstar

Established Member
Reaction score
Pliers, pincers, tape measures, sharpening kit, shooting board, vacs, more clamps, then even more clamps. I assume folks bring their own consumables like s paper and glues.

Ttrees

Iroko loco!
Reaction score
Is there f clamps in lidl at this very minute?
I have bought a bin full of the largest size, and rate them mens shed indestructible!.
I haven't tested out the other two smaller sizes, to see if the screw heads might fall off.
(the Achillies heel of many a clamp)
Might get one or two today if the vices are sold out, or not the same as the old one I have.

Get'em before the pencil pushers decide to cheap out on them.
They have already changed supplier, come with a handle not quite as grippy, and thread is a few mm shorter, still plenty long throw on them though, I would be peed off if they were not still suitable.

recipio

Established Member
Reaction score
Steel rulers. lots of them including a meter rule. Stay away from supermarket tools and buy the best as you can afford them. As I've posted elsewhere splurge for a Mitutoya vernier gauge as that Chinese vernier will only last about six months.

JobandKnock

Amateur curmudgeon
Reaction score
I've a nice block plane - I think I've used it twice in about thirty years. These lists are a bit of a slippery slope.:)
Go fit a door, or better several, or a kitchen. In fact go fit anything and you'll find out how useful a block plane really is. I've been using mine today to final fit about a dozen front doors. It isn't possible for me to hold onto a door with one hand and use a smoothing plane in the other on account of my deficit in the arms department (I only have two)

ICD

Reaction score
Is there f clamps in lidl at this very minute?
I have bought a bin full of the largest size, and rate them mens shed indestructible!.
I haven't tested out the other two smaller sizes, to see if the screw heads might fall off.
(the Achillies heel of many a clamp)
Might get one or two today if the vices are sold out, or not the same as the old one I have.

Get'em before the pencil pushers decide to cheap out on them.
They have already changed supplier, come with a handle not quite as grippy, and thread is a few mm shorter, still plenty long throw on them though, I would be peed off if they were not still suitable.
All three sizes are going to be available in Lidl from 26th September

Jameshow

Established Member
Reaction score
Go fit a door, or better several, or a kitchen. In fact go fit anything and you'll find out how useful a block plane really is. I've been using mine today to final fit about a dozen front doors. It isn't possible for me to hold onto a door with one hand and use a smoothing plane in the other on account of my deficit in the arms department (I only have two)
I use mine out and about all the time. Mines a faithful cheapy!

Cheers James

Austin Branson

Established Member
Reaction score
How about a bench?
a bench vise
Router plane
Compass (360 degrees )
Compasses
Shoulder plane
Planer/thicknesser
Morticer
Sliding compound mitre saw
Spindle moulder

Jacob

Pint of bass, porkpie, and packet of crisps please
Reaction score
This was the TOPs C&G kit we were issued with on release:

Toolbox - made week 5
5 1/2 Record jack plane
Good quality Sanderson & Kayser saws:
26" hand saw 6tpi
22" panel saw 10tpi
14" tenon saw 14tpi
3 Marples firmer chisels 1" 3/4" 1/2"
Rabone Combination square
Whitehill 16oz claw hammer
Nail pullers (Footprint?)
sliding bevel (poor quality)
double sided oil stone - box made week 6
big screwdriver
small screwdriver
2 ft boxwood rule
nail punch
brace & bit (one 32mm bit for yale locks
mallet
S&J carpenters axe
marking gauge
bradawl
brass face marples spirit level
plumb bob

Still got them all except the boxwood rule and a few things replaced
5m tape and Block plane 220 perhaps the most important early additions

Jacob

Reaction score
Paring chisel too for door fitting - it reaches the parts other tools can't reach and with one hand.
Used to scribe stuff with the carpenters axe followed by the block plane.

TRITON

Established Member
Reaction score
CNC router, 3D printer,Laser cutter...

Actually the 3D printers these days are super cheap, and not like old dogs can't learn new tricks.

Phil Pascoe

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Curiously I have only two arms, but manage perfectly well with a smoother. This is why lists like this are really a bit pointless - what works for one person doesn't necesarily do so for another. It doesn't make anyone right or wrong. No doubt someone will say a bradawl is necessary - I haven't owned or used one in in 55 years of buying and using tools.

Jacob

Reaction score
Curiously I have only two arms, but manage perfectly well with a smoother. This is why lists like this are really a bit pointless - what works for one person doesn't necesarily do so for another. It doesn't make anyone right or wrong. No doubt someone will say a bradawl is necessary - I haven't owned or used one in in 55 years of buying and using tools.
2 bradawls are essential. You can hang a door on one bradawl (and a wedge) while you use the other starting holes for the other screws.
I thought the Tops course selection (above) was pretty well thought out - they all got well used