Base for Pizza Oven - Will it be strong enough

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rs6mra

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a pizza oven due on Saturday weighing in around 600kg and was going to use 200x100 sleepers to make the base but cannot get any between now and then.
Available are 100x100 and 150x150 posts and I just wanted to know if a square structure with a diagonal brace within for the sides and the back would be up to the task?

Based on this crude drawing

Attachments

• 19504BCF-DC78-486D-8E11-C4D27023DFFB.jpeg
    19504BCF-DC78-486D-8E11-C4D27023DFFB.jpeg
    88.5 KB · Views: 0
Does the oven you bought have any downloadable instructions for it? They should tell you what sort of base is needed and how to construct it.

Pete

The base will possibly need to support the whole of the oven and not just the edges - assuming it’s a cast refractory one, they normally recommend building something with one or two concrete lintels across the centre.

When I built one a few years ago I built the exterior walls in brick and with a false brick section across the centre. I then floated a concrete raft strengthened with re-bar across the top. On top of that, I built the oven. I was, and still am, no brick laying expert. It didn't take that long or require that much effort. It was, and probably still is (we've now moved house) rock solid. Personally, I wouldn't consider building a pizza oven on a wooden structure.

You could have a poke around on here : https://ukwoodfiredovenforum.proboards.com/ I found it very informative when building mine.

Attachments

• 20210822_174416.jpg
    20210822_174416.jpg
    320.5 KB · Views: 0
Back