• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

bas315 mitre fence

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

A

Anonymous

Having owned an Electra Beckum bas315 bandsaw for about seven years now I decided that it was time to acquire the cross cut mitre fence thingy.Through some weird decision in the EB sales dept. this item was/is an optional extra.No problem there,till you find out that it is a £45 optional extra.After checking that my local tool supplier was not actually on drugs and was serious about this price I decided to put this purchase off for the time being till I could warrant this extravagance.Seven years later and I recently stood on the wooden mitre fence I had made (for the second time) and I had had enough.For the last few years I have scoured the car boots looking for one at a reasonable price but failed miserably.So, enter e-bay stage left. What should appear but an EBbas315 mitre fence. Bidding my socks off I managed to purchase said item for £26 plus p&p. The other bidders obviously knew what a new one costs but at least I had acquired the holy grail of mitre fences.The great day arrived,the box with Eb bas315 on it was opened and there lay an unused mitre fence.Rushing downstairs to my grotto/workshop I proudly offered my prize up to my eagerly awaiting bandsaw.Did it fit?Did it *&£%@*&. Lets just say no.Wrong profile on the tee bar.So to sum it up after seven years I am back to square one minus thirty quid.Should I have bought one for £45 in the first place? Yes.Why does saving money cost twice as much in the long run?I am off now to murder the cat.Have a nice day as our Dado loving friends say.

StevieB

Established Member
Reaction score
Commiserations Harry :(

For what its worth, I have the BAS316 and find the mitre fence particularly bad. I am not sure if its because its slightly sloppy in the slot or because the scale is plastic and not very accurate, but I now cut all my mitres on the chop saw and/or sand down to the line on the sander :roll:

Steve.

Jorden

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Harry

I have a decent bandsaw which doesn't have a very good mitre fence so I spent 15 minutes one day planing a strip of wood to fit the mitre slot, then attached it to a piece of plywood set at a fixed 90 degrees. Not pretty, but it worked very well so I did the same for 45 degrees.
Now I know my mitre gauge is accurate and when the cut goes wrong can only blame the part that stands behind it!

Dennis

Travis Byrne

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello Harry
Don't give up.
Sometime you have to open a lot oysters to find that single pearl.
Sure, you can go to the shop downtown and buy a pearl, but there is nothing like finding the pearl on your own.
What you want is out "there". Just a question of finding it.
"""""Have a nice day""""" :D
Travis

stewart

Established Member
Reaction score
Bad luck, Harry
I was quoted £60 for a base so i let the opportunity pass...
luckily my old b and q table saw had a base that i've been able to adapt. my bs also came without a mitre guage too.
stewart

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
Harry put it up for sale on Ebay with a £30 reserve. Then you could call it a good purchase :D

Latest posts