BAS 500 thrust bearing needed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If u can get it, go for a 3 spot bearing...mind the normal brg will last a good while in DIT use..
thats all I got untill they get replaced....
slightly looser tollerance for extra high speed....

Shouldn't be too difficult to get someone to turn you up a replacement outer ring, as long as you know the approximate size. Since it is moveable the exact size isn't going to be critical.

Our outer casing was missing and I think it was being run directly on the bearing. I am assuming that the metal disc pushes onto the bearing and is 40 mm diameter on a bearing of 19 mm?

Steel rod is 10mm dia
Outer casing is 34mm dia
Shaft length from top of bearing 42mm
Bearing is 24mm across (Z809 )

Can you tell me is the steel rod 7mm diameter?

The 19mm side bearings are on a 7mm shaft

Hope that is helpful.

www.powertoolspares.com used to do a conversion kit for the 315, not sure if there is one for the 500. Should be much better than the melting-chocolate-on-a-hot-day grade metal EB use....

All values approx.

YMeaBcq.png

Last edited:
Okay,
That’s annoying because the shaft on ours is 7mm. We do have metal worker’s. I wonder if we can turn the column down to 7 mm. Shouldn’t be too hard.

Steel rod is 10mm dia
Outer casing is 34mm dia
Shaft length from top of bearing 42mm
Bearing is 24mm across (Z809 )

Can you tell me is the steel rod 7mm diameter?

The 19mm side bearings are on a 7mm shaft

Hope that is helpful.

www.powertoolspares.com used to do a conversion kit for the 315, not sure if there is one for the 500. Should be much better than the melting-chocolate-on-a-hot-day grade metal EB use....

All values approx.

YMeaBcq.png
Yes, I looked at their site. The upgrade kits are out of stock. They told me they do have a replacement bearing.

And as I say the Kity has a groove machined into the outer collar that the blade sits in, might be worth doing if you are going to have one made.
Our bearing runs perpendicular to the blade, on the face not the rim.

Perhaps I'm missing something but why don't you just dismantle the one you have and go and get a new bearing? If the outer collar is missing and you have metalworkers they should be able to turn a new one on a lathe in a few minutes, mild steel would be perfectly adequate.

Thanks that does look like the previous incarnation. After the fiasco with the lower guides I don’t know if I will be continuing my involvement. I could email the link to the person who has taken over the job, they seem intent on bodging it though and they have installed decorative guides. Shiny but completely useless and literally hanging out of the broken pot metal.

Sounds like you'd be well out of there, if only for peace of mind. I know the feeling having watched my neighbour "repairing" things on a number of occasions with a mixture of emotions, mostly horror!

@Giles55
Just so you know, an extreme word of caution regarding taking the reigns on that machine in that environment, as those pot metal guides are partial to self disintegrate.

Who was at the machine last... a possible endless cycle of cranky users who might be cranking down
those guides too tightly.
I'd not be all too keen to get blamed for something broken

All the best
Tom
I absolutely get your point. I am extremely wary of the machines because I have found some really troubling things. However I think after 18 months of moaning they seem to be doing something about it. The risks are very real and an open access workshop is not the place to cut corners. I am not allowed to use the machines unsupervised because of safety concerns. Machines which are themselves not necessarily dangerous but are being run at increased risk. It’s not a coherent position.

Back