BAS 500 thrust bearing needed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Giles55

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I have a Elektra Beckum/ Metabo BAS 500 bandsaw and I need a new lower thrust bearing. It’s a bearing on the end of a steel rod. I will check but I don’t think the bearing is detachable from the steel rod. It’s welded on. Anyway they no longer make spares and I have not been able to find anything suitable. Does anyone have a replacement thrust bearing for this bandsaw or have a simple alternative solution?
Cheers

Could you post a photo ?
It would help in suggesting alternative solutions.
Okay
I will post a picture as soon as possible with measurements too. The bandsaw is not where I live so please bear with me. I will try to get it done tomorrow.

On the EB 315 the top side rollers are removable from the shaft,
and it looks like the lower thrust for your machine is the same type deal press fit.
Those bearings will be standard and premium ones got very cheaply from a bearing supplier, even local place might have it, worth a call once you write down whats stamped on the old ones.

To replace you need to figure a way to hold the inner ring (race) whilst you tap out the shaft
being careful not to pien the end.
And likewise fitting a new one pressing on the inner race, making sure to have the stamp on the outside for again, so you can see without needing to disassemble it.

Now the real question is rubber sealed, or metal shielded???
:p

Tom

NBP,
depends where the thrust is.....
I think he/it means behind the blade... then it could be either
a RS or ZZ.....no pref for that application....

Right I just went to the workshop and forgot to photograph the bearing because I found someone else has been tinkering with the machine! Anyway to be crystal clear the thrust bearing is the bearing which sits at the rear of the blade, I have always called it the thrust bearing and it is called that in every book I have. The bearing on the BAS sits perpendicular to the blade. There is a 7mm steel rod with the bearing a push fit onto the end of the rod. I will post again when I find out what is going on with someone else interfering. Sorry about that.

NBP,
depends where the thrust is.....
I think he/it means behind the blade... then it could be either
a RS or ZZ.....no pref for that application....
In over 30 years of working on machinery of all kinds including wood working machinery, I have never seen a thrust race that is sealed or shielded.
By design it’s not possible to do that.

In over 30 years of working on machinery of all kinds including wood working machinery, I have never seen a thrust race that is sealed or shielded.
I think they just call it that for want of a better name. Just be aware on my Kity the bearing is fitted inside a sleeve which has a groove machined in it to guide the blade, at first glance and without glasses on you could be forgiven for thinking the groove was in the outer race. Don't know if you're had a similar set up but worth checking.

I am sorry I don’t understand the point. I didn’t say it was sealed. Right I think I just twigged, someone else said something about rubber or sealed.

Last edited:
hRk1QD0.png

This is off a 315 but assume it's the same. I see they're 40 odd quid if one was available...
When needed I just wash out the race, drip oil or push some grease in, run it on the drill press and push/drip more lubricant in.

That looks like a roller bearing pressed into an outer collar.
Not strictly a thrust bearing, although it's acting as such.

Last edited:
Similar set up to the Kity. Just press out the central shaft, then press the bearing out of the collar. A new one shouldn't cost much, and I would go for a sealed for life type. I think mine were about 8 quid each. Like I say make sure you get one for high speed operation. When you reassemble just press the bearing into the collar, pressing on the outer race only. Then press the assembly on to the shaft, pressing on the inner race only.

@Giles55
Just so you know, an extreme word of caution regarding taking the reigns on that machine in that environment, as those pot metal guides are partial to self disintegrate.

Who was at the machine last... a possible endless cycle of cranky users who might be cranking down
those guides too tightly.
I'd not be all too keen to get blamed for something broken

All the best
Tom

hRk1QD0.png

This is off a 315 but assume it's the same. I see they're 40 odd quid if one was available...
When needed I just wash out the race, drip oil or push some grease in, run it on the drill press and push/drip more lubricant in.
That looks to be the same. Can you tell me is the steel rod 7mm diameter?

hRk1QD0.png

Our outer casing was missing and I think it was being run directly on the bearing. I am assuming that the metal disc pushes onto the bearing and is 40 mm diameter on a bearing of 19 mm?

Our outer casing was missing and I think it was being run directly on the bearing. I am assuming that the metal disc pushes onto the bearing and is 40 mm diameter on a bearing of 19 mm?

I'll check in the morning Giles and get back to you. Side bearings are essentially the same but without the outer casing.

Back