Barrel Nut (weird shape)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajsimmo

Established Member
Reaction score
Hoping the collective might be able to assist.

I'm trying to find another one of these barrel nuts/dowel nut, but it's in the shape of a "T" and is 65mm long.

They go on my roof rack to lock the foot onto the rail, one has seized/rusted up, (can't un-seize, I've tried everything).

Anybody seen anything like this?

Attachments

• IMG_20220521_234954.jpg
    IMG_20220521_234954.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220521_234741.jpg
    IMG_20220521_234741.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220521_234712.jpg
    IMG_20220521_234712.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 0
Tried soaking it in a 50/50 mix of ATF (automatic transmission fluid) and Acetone?

If the bolts are available you should be able to drill the old one out with progressively bigger drill bits until you can pick out the old threads.

You might have to find someone to weld one together for you and then tap it.

Pete

A good dollop of heat from a propane torch or similar normally works on stubborn threads. When its just starting to glow use your spanner and try to tighten the bolt a fraction first before reversing and backing it out.

A good dollop of heat from a propane torch or similar normally works on stubborn threads. When its just starting to glow use your spanner and try to tighten the bolt a fraction first before reversing and backing it out.
Great advice, I'll try that thanks.

Tried soaking it in a 50/50 mix of ATF (automatic transmission fluid) and Acetone?

If the bolts are available you should be able to drill the old one out with progressively bigger drill bits until you can pick out the old threads.

You might have to find someone to weld one together for you and then tap it.

Pete
Cheers Pete, I'll try this as well.

Yea, there's 3 others which all turn OK.
Well best to check
I was doing VSO in Romania in 1991, and we needed to change the tyres on a single decker coach we brought for transport. Couldn't get the wheel nuts off and even jacked up the bus, placed piled up slabbing under the brace and dropped the entire bus on the end of it hoping to use the weight to break the seize.

After trying this a few times and bending the big steel brace we noticed they were left hand thread. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Well best to check
I was doing VSO in Romania in 1991, and we needed to change the tyres on a single decker coach we brought for transport. Couldn't get the wheel nuts off and even jacked up the bus, placed piled up slabbing under the brace and dropped the entire bus on the end of it hoping to use the weight to break the seize.

After trying this a few times and bending the big steel brace we noticed they were left hand thread. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Can just imagine the reactions! 😂😂

If you don't have the means to heat it up, take it to your local garage, blacksmith or fabricator. They are likely to have better equipment & the know how.

If you don't have the means to heat it up, take it to your local garage, blacksmith or fabricator. They are likely to have better equipment & the know how.
Cheers Robbo, I have blow torch, but it's stuck in the plastic housing. Ive admitted defeat and ordered a new rack! 🤷🏼‍♂️

Back