Barley Twist

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I gave it a go and no, neither bowl nor spindle gouge worked for me. That could be down to my inability to use them properly, because they need sharpened, both or something else entirely. In the end I went at it with the one tool I had that I thought might work - a rasp! Was perhaps a bit brutal for the task but I got something and this is where it's at so far.

Attachments

• 4380_2020_20-04-20ukw.jpg
    4380_2020_20-04-20ukw.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 120
Yes I'm a sucker for some nice barley twist - Cadby Inn doncaster has my holy grail of a set; lovely proportioned and medium oak colour. Have tried 3 times to hollow and hand mark and cut, etc etc - but absolute rubbish - I have a slight hope that one day a Trend lathe will turn up - and then all will be easy !! at the moment I'm better with 'steam punk' stuff its rough and ready a bit like me.

Yojevol":3hz0zvvq said:
Lonsdale73":3hz0zvvq said:
timber":3hz0zvvq said:
I have a couple of Legacy Ornamental wood turning lathes and can do a lot more than just barley twists.
I started with a Trend router lathe and I got well and truly hooked !!!??
If interested let me know. I am 85 so soon be selling up.

Take it you didn't have any joy selling the Trend?
I have a Trend which I could be persuaded to part with.
Brian
I would be interested in the Trend?

I'm sure he said the Trend sold some time ago but the Legacy Ornamentals might be available. He's 85 now and I think he was ready to wind down when I first spoke to him some years ago.

Back