Bargain tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got dragged into 'The Big Orange' today, JCB 20" handsaws, 7,9 and 11 point £7:98. Buy one get one free. I haven't used these yet, haven't used JCB before, but at that price, can they be terrible?

xy

xy mosian":34glxceo said:
I got dragged into 'The Big Orange' today, JCB 20" handsaws, 7,9 and 11 point £7:98. Buy one get one free. I haven't used these yet, haven't used JCB before, but at that price, can they be terrible?

xy

They're big and yellow and you can make big holes in the garden with them...what do you think!? :mrgreen:

Jim

xy mosian":rfrxyg3p said:
Ah well! Another fool caught by the lure of cheap tools :oops:

xy

We've all done it mate...you are walking past the cereal....and the lure of tools suddenly emerges between the Cornflakes and the Coco Pops... :wink:

I think it's a cunning trick by the supermarket giants to get more iron into our diet....... :oops:

While I'm in Asda I'll buy a coat...I promise...by George I promise...(groans himself at that one!)

:mrgreen:

Jim

My JCB 4.5" grinder is still going strong, after many hours of use, so I really can't knock it. Also got a JCB jigsaw, which does what I ask it, and feels quite sturdy.

Thanks for the words of consolation all. Time will tell about the useability of these saws. After my discount, wednesday 10% off, and including the rather nifty magnetic tooth guards I'm not too dischuffed.

xy

xy mosian":399m7ngf said:
Thanks for the words of consolation all. Time will tell about the useability of these saws. After my discount, wednesday 10% off, and including the rather nifty magnetic tooth guards I'm not too dischuffed.

xy

AH! The magnetic tooth guards are probably very useful...it would be interesting to see how they cut and how long they last....

You know we're only joshing with you mate....

Jim

jimi43":3pumhi0i said:
xy mosian":3pumhi0i said:

xy

AH! The magnetic tooth guards are probably very useful...it would be interesting to see how they cut and how long they last....

Jim

Those magnetic saw guard thingies are pretty useless for cutting wood, but do a nice job of protecting saw teeth and can tend to last for years. :wink:

GazPal":3hr1hv3k said:
jimi43":3hr1hv3k said:
xy mosian":3hr1hv3k said:

xy

Jim

Those magnetic saw guard thingies are pretty useless for cutting wood, but do a nice job of protecting saw teeth and can tend to last for years. :wink:

Indeed..... :mrgreen: :wink:

J

Notice Rutlands re-doing the 66pc 1/2" router bits for £120 this weekend. I got those last time around and at under £2 a bit, with a massive array of profiles.... a bargain indeed. Find the quality good too, maybe not top-end (you can easily pay £40 for a single bit) but for general use really very good. Pile in!!

Hi All,
It was forstner bits that started this thing off and Record have their 16 piece set on offer at the moment for about £40.

I bought a set a while ago because an Axminster own brand single bit I bought was so poor and have been impressed with them. One difference compared to the Screwfix set is that above a moderate diameter the shanks are hex which means you don't have to be Popeye to tighten the chuck to stop it slipping ;-)

What about making your own tools? Looks as if Douglas has done a bit of that. Isn't that the best bargain?

I always buy unhandled woodturning tools when I can and would much rather make than buy to save money for the things I can't make.

Mallets, screwdrivers, chisel handles, bradawls, marking guages, marking knives, turning tools, lathe centres, toolrests. Had a go at all of those and I use them all of the time - often in preference to the bought tools.

Jon

Ah yes Jon... indeed I have. You mention chisels, chisel handles. Was over Jim's briefly today mainly to pay him for the cutting gauge. Took away one 1/4" Marples chisel (blue handle, white plastic 'washer'). I am going to do a make-over on it and give it back to Jim after - not like he can't do his own, but I enjoy making the best from a basic good tool. Already said elsewhere (the chisel thread) but those Marples are absolute crackers*. He paid 20p at a boot fair for this one. I plan an African blackwood handle and take it through my KinSharp (TM) routine. Will come out well under a fiver, and will give almost any chisel a serious run.
More news later... but which thread??
* In my own experience, they beat the same period Stanleys - precision of grinding all round, every facet. And the steel seems finer. Edge holds better too.

"KinSharp (TM)" :)

I have my own version of that, Bluntasfuk - past down through generations of half assed bodgers, creators of the first 'safety' chisel.

Seriously though folks I was in Aldis today, they have a selection of different forstner/step drill/mixed drill sets. And my Aldi had the 4 sided diamond stones at a reduced price of £5.99... so I brought another :oops:

Oh, diamond files as well but I didnt have the budget left to try a set.

Cheap diamond 'stones' - don't have an Aldi near me. Would anyone recommend a cheap set for basic work - roughing metal off old chisels to get the primary back?, flattening stones? etc. I accept they won't be DMT standard but if they are any good at all for rough stuff, I fancy trying some. Advice welcome.

I have bought several sets of cheap diamond hones and they last a few months for occassional touching up of turning tools (skews and parting tools) and slowly become less and less effective as the diamonds wear off.

Axminster sell a set of 3...
200219_xl.jpg

They start off as coarse medium fine and you end up with 3 very fines ;-)

They have 4 advantages, they're clean'ish (spit rather than honing oil), don't shed grit, are always flat and are small enough to put in your pocket.

But for heavy sharpening like flattening plane/chisel backs & primary bevels I personally wouldn't bother with 'em. Wet and dry on plate glass or a brand new flat stone would be much better and probably cheaper too.

I think the biggest problem with diamond hones is the fact that it either wears away and breaks off or reacts with the steel. I'm not sure which it is but even though I lubricate with spit every time and wipe off the swarf they never last very long.

So a bargain? I don't really think so.

Just my two penn'th
Jon

I've got an old (10 year) dmt hanging round some where (red one, 600 grit?), I havent looked at it for a long time but I remember thinking it was overpriced tat when I found out what the retail price was (didnt pay full price). Perhaps the quality has much improved over the years (anyone??) but I am currently of the opinion that if its not going to last that long then just get the cheap one.

Fwiw

Back