Bargain planer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jameshow

Established Member
Reaction score
What width is it? I have a 9" Bursgreen and it has a 2.2.H.P. motor.

LOL at "would make a nice industrial style coffee table etc" part.

I don't know the make but Matt at the Badger Workshop did a restoration video series about a year ago with one that doesn't look a million miles different to that one.

Be safe and go 3 Hp
I have a 14 inch planer / thicknesser with 5 Hp - also has a manual star delta starter as tyere is a lot of mass to get rotating.
Yours looks about right for 3 Hp and a simple DOL starter

Some things to think about:- You will need to check the rpm required, probably about 3000, so a 2 pole motor. Cap start, Cap run. You will need to get a suitable pully for the motor. Not sure if it's normally a 1:1 ratio? You need to think about the motor mounting, but since you aren't mounting on the body of the planer, it's less important. A 3HP is available in a 90 S or L frame, 24mm shaft, 8mm keyway. You won't get away with just hanging the motor if that's what you planned, but the weight of the motor will tension the belt. Best design some way to clamp the tensioned motor. There are people on here with more knowledge about motors, but my 3HP motor is rated at 12.5A, I run it off a 16A supply, otherwise I got occasional tripping on a 13A supply.
My motor has a S6 Duty rating, which is 40%. That seems lowish, but if you think how you use a planer, that's probably OK. I have never had any problems, but I'm not a heavy user, just hobby stuff.
I would look for a good used motor. Just saw one on Gumtree for £70. New ones are fairly expensive. Here are a couple of examples plucked from the internet Clarke and MM and a possible starter you will find cheaper if you search.

I have attached a guide to motor frame sizes, which gives dimensions for standard IEC motor units

Attachments

• Motor frame guide.pdf
    159 KB · Views: 0
That second one definitely isn’t a Wadkin of any sort, a lot of people will just add “Wadkin” to listings to generate interest.

Couldn’t tell you who made it, but seemingly these small yet very solid bench top machines were made by an unknown company for other suppliers to sell, typically with their own badge riveted to it. The only ones I know of that were branded in the castings were Cooksley machines.

A 1-1.5HP motor should be ample for a small machine like that unless you plan on taking really deep cuts and doing rebating work with it, easy enough to find a cheap secondhand one. The cutterblock will want to spin at around 4500rpm or so, so you’ll need to figure out the speed conversion from the motor to cutter block via the pulleys to achieve roughly that rpm.

That second one definitely isn’t a Wadkin of any sort, a lot of people will just add “Wadkin” to listings to generate interest.

Couldn’t tell you who made it, but seemingly these small yet very solid bench top machines were made by an unknown company for other suppliers to sell, typically with their own badge riveted to it. The only ones I know of that were branded in the castings were Cooksley machines.

A 1-1.5HP motor should be ample for a small machine like that unless you plan on taking really deep cuts and doing rebating work with it, easy enough to find a cheap secondhand one. The cutterblock will want to spin at around 4500rpm or so, so you’ll need to figure out the speed conversion from the motor to cutter block via the pulleys to achieve roughly that rpm.
I have a large pond pump motor (2" pump) which I removed on my Mrs instruction having seen the wattage of it!

I'll see if I can repurpose that first.....

I'll only be doing shallow skims.

Latest posts

Back