Bargain of the day!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing to do with woodwork. My bargain this morning was picking up a six man tent from Freecycle. We are big campers and have our own equipment but occasionally others join us. Thought it might come in handy on those occasions. If, when I erect it, it looks like this, I will be most surprised though.

1641772041395.png

Nothing to do with woodwork. My bargain this morning was picking up a six man tent from Freecycle. We are big campers and have our own equipment but occasionally others join us. Thought it might come in handy on those occasions. If, when I erect it, it looks like this, I will be most surprised though.

View attachment 126465
I have a similar tent I use it when the kids and I want to do a camping weekend... Easy to put up and pack away by a single dad! Kids playing football!

Have you found a good way to clean the Lego Sandyn?Or more to the point, dry it afterwards?
Apparently, you can put it in a mesh bag, low temp in the washing machine, but never tried that. It must make a heck of a noise.
I just put it all in a sink of water with washing up liquid and shuffle it about for ages, rinse, then soak in disinfectant, rinse again. I dry with a high pressure air line to get in all the wee holes, then sit in a box on a radiator for a few hours and keep moving the bits about. Something very therapeutic about washing Lego. I have always loved Lego. It's such a well designed product. Kids of all ages love it.

Apparently, you can put it in a mesh bag, low temp in the washing machine, but never tried that. It must make a heck of a noise.
I just put it all in a sink of water with washing up liquid and shuffle it about for ages, rinse, then soak in disinfectant, rinse again. I dry with a high pressure air line to get in all the wee holes, then sit in a box on a radiator for a few hours and keep moving the bits about. Something very therapeutic about washing Lego. I have always loved Lego. It's such a well designed product. Kids of all ages love it.
Thanks @Sandyn , that’s pretty comprehensive, always loved Lego myself right from 60? Years ago, I think the first thing I got was a little box of bits that made up a small rectangular but with one curved corner, shop – really tiny, and I have a grandson who is now one year old and he’s going to be getting a lot of Lego! I’m sure it helps spatial awareness, maths, three-dimensional planning in your brain, and all the other good things. Ian

always loved Lego myself right from 60? Years ago
Same when I was young, 60+ years ago, it was Lego and Meccano. I had a pretty basic set, but as you say it taught you so much.
Meccano was something else. I had a motor, with a gearbox, so I could make things do something.
Lego now is incredible, all the kits you can get, the different shapes. My adult son just built a Saturn 5 rocket. My 3 1/2 year old grandson is just at the wall building stage. I swear he gets more enjoyment from Lego than any of the high technology toys he has. It's so creative.

Alright, not a bargain because it was given me by my son's father- in- law.
A nice man but one given to fits of enthusiasm over various activities in which he has no experience.
Some years ago he decided to take up woodworking as a hobby. Whereas most people would start with a few basic tools, a square, a tenon saw, perhaps a cordless drill and bits etc, he dashed out and bought this huge 2hp router and a set of good quality cutters. The torque of the thing when he first switched it on gave him a bit of a fright so he figured woodworking wasn't for him. Tidying up his garage recently he decided it just had to go. Lucky me.
IMG_20220111_173716.jpg

A nice man but one given to fits of enthusiasm over various activities in which he has no experience.
Some years ago he decided to take up woodworking as a hobby. Whereas most people would start with a few basic tools, a square, a tenon saw, perhaps a cordless drill and bits etc, he dashed out and bought this huge 2hp router and a set of good quality cutters. The torque of the thing when he first switched it on gave him a bit of a fright so he figured woodworking wasn't for him. Tidying up his garage recently he decided it just had to go. Lucky me.
View attachment 126563
Haha, I've had similar, our librarians husband has a clearout every now and then and any tools he doesn't want or need get brought in to me, ive now got a skillsaw, router, mitresaw, 2 identical cordless drills(charger on one doesn't work and batteries on the other are dead), a load of hand tools and work lights, cantbwait until his next clear out 😁😁😁😁😁

Few weeks ago picked up a new unused electric plane for £5, ok its Silverline so not the best brand in the world but for the very minimal use it will get I thinks it's the bargain of last year 😁😁😁

View attachment 126563
Lucky indeed thats a good router. Harks back to the days when Ryobi was a respected make akin to elu. I''d the same model and it lasted years of being heavily abused.

Lucky indeed thats a good router. Harks back to the days when Ryobi was a respected make akin to elu. I''d the same model and it lasted years of being heavily abused.
That's good to know. It's a bit too big for the stuff I'm into - I use a Makita laminate trimmer. However, toying with the idea of building a table and using it as a spindle molder.

" , then sit in a box on a radiator for a few hours and keep moving the bits about. " but what do you do with the lego??.......................................

Scrolling through amazon yesterday I came across this and figured that for £12.99 I can't go wrong
Screenshot_20220307-133257_Samsung Internet.jpg

It arrived this afternoon and I'm not disappointed, at a minimum I've got a load of sanding discs, probably won't need the super high 800+ grits but who knows I may go down the resin route at some point.

20220307_133638.jpg

My new 'bargain' was to make some home made chain lubricant for my bike. 1/3 candle wax. 1/3 liquid paraffin, 1/3 Xylene. Was quite simple to make, but as always, finding something to use as a dispenser was the problem. Luckily I had an old 300ml oil bottle. I did the mixing, it seemed to be an OK mix and poured it in the bottle. I let the mixture cool for a while, then tested it. Unfortunately the hole in the bottle was too small and the lubricant in the top had cooled to a fairly stiff mixture. I cut a bit off the top and gave the bottle a squeeze, the lubricant started to ooze out of the end. I could see there was a plug of thick stuff at the tip, so a good solid squeeze of the bottle and pop!!! out came the plug of stuff and about a fifth of the bottle squirted over my hair, up the centre of my head. It instantly cooled into this greasy, oily, smelly lump of muck on my head and set into a bit of a Mohecan style hair hairdo. It took three washes with shampoo and hot water to get rid of it, so I think it works very well.

Scrolling through amazon yesterday I came across this and figured that for £12.99 I can't go wrong
View attachment 131050

It arrived this afternoon and I'm not disappointed, at a minimum I've got a load of sanding discs, probably won't need the super high 800+ grits but who knows I may go down the resin route at some point.

View attachment 131051
Make a 50mm handle that fits into the palm of your hand, and stick some Velcro on to take the discs….for small jobs…

Make a 50mm handle that fits into the palm of your hand, and stick some Velcro on to take the discs….for small jobs…
I have a load of small bearing sitting around doing nothing, I'm tempted to have some fun and see if I can use them to make an inertia sander

I think my original purchase was similar if not the same and a couple of years later I still have most of the higher grits left. I got through the 80's quite quickly as they didn't seem to last long as the other grits. I tend to use 120 and 240 more so buy 80, 120 and 240 here. This type last longer in my opinion plus you can use them wet. Order now and you will have them in time for Christmas.

I think my original purchase was similar if not the same and a couple of years later I still have most of the higher grits left. I got through the 80's quite quickly as they didn't seem to last long as the other grits. I tend to use 120 and 240 more so buy 80, 120 and 240 here. This type last longer in my opinion plus you can use them wet. Order now and you will have them in time for Christmas.
I've never felt comfortable using aliexpress, just doesn't feel like a legit site. My go to choice for abrasives is abranet sanding mesh, I can cut a sheet of that into a few discs that will easily be gripped by the velcro. Interesting fact, velcro is actually the brand not the product, the product is called hook and loop fastener, the company actually dislikes the fact that everyone calls it velcro 🤷‍♂️

Latest posts

Back