Bargain of the day!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sandyn

Established Member
Reaction score
4 off 2.07 X 0.63 9mm MDF
2 off 2.07 X 0.63 12mm MDF
£1 a sheet. B&Q.

Mdf.jpg

Wow, I dont particularly like using mdf because of the dust but that's almost enough for me to buy a few sheets incase I need it in the future.

Even if you don't want or like MDF that is indeed a bargain(y):)
I don't mind working with MDF. I'll find a use for it somewhere, possibly a bookshelf for my grandson. At that price, I wasn't going to leave it in the store, but I did leave two sheets for someone else to find a bargain.

Today's bargain!!!
My backpack leaf blower is on it's last legs. Still starts well, but doesn't get up to full revs and the plastic hose is broken, generally seen better days, but still starts very reliably. 11 pulls since I removed the primer pump. Time to get a new one. Choices were down to Makita and Daihatsu. Both 52cc models, very similar spec, but different quality and price. Daihatsu was £157 and Makita, £30 off at screwfix was £250. Both got similar reviews for blowing power, but the daihatsu was criticised for feeling cheap and nasty and the fuel primer was tucked out of the way behind the fuel pipes. I thought I would go with the Makita. They make great equipment, then the frugal side kicked in. £93 difference!! that's almost £100!!!so I decided the Daihatsu would be fine. Had to go out to buy some things from gumtree and some fireworks at Lidl, so was going to place the order when I got back home.
Wooohooo!! Lidl had a Parkside backpack blower for £90. Had a look at the brief spec on the box. It was more or less identical to the other two, but on the strength of knowing what a good bargain some of the Parkside stuff is, I just bought it!
When I opened the box, first thing I spotted was the fuel primer was hidden behind the fuel pipes, exactly like the Daihatsu model, so I'm convinced it's the same 2 stroke engine, But the build is very good. The which? review said it has terrible vibration and fumes from the exhaust?? Testing it. it blows very well, has terrible vibration and smells of fumes from the exhaust, but that doesn't bother me. The vibration is not extreme, but it does lack mechanical isolation. I could fix that if I wanted. It's a bit like getting a massage as you clear the garden. £160 saving over the Makita and £67 over the Daihatsu. and a free massage!!! a bargain!!!

Today's bargain!!!
My backpack leaf blower is on it's last legs. Still starts well, but doesn't get up to full revs and the plastic hose is broken, generally seen better days, but still starts very reliably. 11 pulls since I removed the primer pump. Time to get a new one. Choices were down to Makita and Daihatsu. Both 52cc models, very similar spec, but different quality and price. Daihatsu was £157 and Makita, £30 off at screwfix was £250. Both got similar reviews for blowing power, but the daihatsu was criticised for feeling cheap and nasty and the fuel primer was tucked out of the way behind the fuel pipes. I thought I would go with the Makita. They make great equipment, then the frugal side kicked in. £93 difference!! that's almost £100!!!so I decided the Daihatsu would be fine. Had to go out to buy some things from gumtree and some fireworks at Lidl, so was going to place the order when I got back home.
Wooohooo!! Lidl had a Parkside backpack blower for £90. Had a look at the brief spec on the box. It was more or less identical to the other two, but on the strength of knowing what a good bargain some of the Parkside stuff is, I just bought it!
When I opened the box, first thing I spotted was the fuel primer was hidden behind the fuel pipes, exactly like the Daihatsu model, so I'm convinced it's the same 2 stroke engine, But the build is very good. The which? review said it has terrible vibration and fumes from the exhaust?? Testing it. it blows very well, has terrible vibration and smells of fumes from the exhaust, but that doesn't bother me. The vibration is not extreme, but it does lack mechanical isolation. I could fix that if I wanted. It's a bit like getting a massage as you clear the garden. £160 saving over the Makita and £67 over the Daihatsu. and a free massage!!! a bargain!!!
A broom is even cheaper 😁

Wow, I dont particularly like using mdf because of the dust but that's almost enough for me to buy a few sheets incase I need it in the future.
Hardwood dust is considerably more toxic. MDF has to follow regulations on toxicity, Mother Nature doesn't ;)

I know what you mean though about not liking, despite its toxicity. I found when in the past I was employed in a small cabinet shop the dust would mix with the sweat on my brow(Yes, they really make you work in industry :eek: ) and I'd have a burning sensation on my forehead.

Last edited:
I know this sounds daft but I really like the appearance of varnished MDF, a few coats of polyurethane and its a lovely finish, the edges need sealing first though if you dont want to be applying about 15coats! A few years ago I made up some utility room wall cabinets entirely from MDF and varnished the carcasses and painted the doors, its been very hard wearing and still looks smart too.
Steve.

Today's virtual bargain!! Been looking for some Lego on Gumtree for my grandson when he visits. We already have a small box of it. Have you seen the price of used Lego??? It's often sold by the Kg.
We thought there should be more in the house from when our kids were young so today I had a look in the loft and found a large box of Lego, probably worth £70+ if bought on Gumtree. Happy granddad and going to have a happy wee boy next time he visits. I still love playing with Lego.

Anyone else found a bargain?

Lego.jpg

Screenshot_20220109-104056_Nextdoor.jpg

Just found these on a local sales site, unused in perfect condition, they wanted 55 but accepted my offer of 40, there's no branding or manufacturers mark on them but will be perfect starter set to keep me going and I can upgrade to better bit by bit as I need to, turning tools seem to be a very rare find on the likes of Gumtree, Shpock and Nextdoor.

What have you been turning with up till now? Your thumb nails!!

I thought you would have a top notch set of Ashley Illes looking at he work you do!!

Good find!!

Stevekane....just for you....
these are the door in my house....not my choice but not so bad to live with until I can make em out of light Oak........
all made from MDF then routed with some sort'a CNC machine....
the doors, locks hinges and frames are all made in Italy, u just choose the size n style from a catalogue.....
hardwood vaneer or fancy printed surface ? with the shape down to the MDF then heavily varnished....
actually looks better in the flesh and the bright sun doesn't help with the photo....sorry...
IMG_8453.jpeg

IMG_8452.jpeg

Today's virtual bargain!! Been looking for some Lego on Gumtree for my grandson when he visits. We already have a small box of it. Have you seen the price of used Lego??? It's often sold by the Kg.
We thought there should be more in the house from when our kids were young so today I had a look in the loft and found a large box of Lego, probably worth £70+ if bought on Gumtree. Happy granddad and going to have a happy wee boy next time he visits. I still love playing with Lego.

Anyone else found a bargain?

View attachment 121313
Have you found a good way to clean the Lego Sandyn?Or more to the point, dry it afterwards?

Last edited:
So, got them home and glad I didn't pay more than 40 for them, the box is OK I guess but will be utilised for something else, the steel feels OK and the edges are reasonably sharp although the bowl gouges will need regrinding to suit me, will see how well they hold an edge. The handles are a complete let down, there's absolutely no weight to them at all, add the fact they've been poorly painted black I wouldn't be surprised if the handles are some sort of balsa wood, on the plus side though I now have a square and round nose scraper, a couple of smaller bowl gouges and a diamond parting tool, will be making new handles for them, probably out of some oak sleeper offcuts that I have laying around.
20220109_193306.jpg
20220109_193313.jpg
20220109_193317.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220109-104056_Nextdoor.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 3
Back