Bargain forstner bits

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Similarly to MM, I have a decent set of hole saws, originally bought for downlights and plumbing. They don't make as much mess as Forstners. They will do blind holes too if you're careful (you have to stop and chisel every now and then, and use good extraction to prevent burning). Used in a drill press, they will leave quite a clean finish, too.

They're definitely not as good as good Forstners, and don't leave that beautifully clean bottom to the hole (can be important, I know), but they are a lot cheaper, and the sizes are pretty accurate.

I'm guessing you've already thought of an expansive (expanding - not a typo :)) bit?

I was just about to put this on my "must buy" list when I noticed the OP date...

i bought this set on the back of this thread, and am very happy with it. To be honest, I hadnt noticed that the sizes were slightly off, and it isnt something that normally would cause me a huge issue. Obviously in this case Douglas needed a specific sized hole, and it was in the upper end of the range where you cant just pick the next size up.

very good value for money all the same. I got mine when they were on offer for about £20

I've got the basic 'gold' aximinster set and they're ok for rough softwood jobs, in anything else they take a long time to make much progress.

I was after a forstner from axminster the other day and ordered one of their axcaliber jobbies, it seems quite good, certainly better than the cheapy 'gold' bits.

I find it odd that the stated sizes can be so wrong - why weren't they rejected somewhere in the system before they were sold?
It's interesting that only a couple of posters have mentioned sharpening them - it's not difficult, and can really benefit the cheap ones especially.

I have just checked mine, a few months old, and all about the size marked, using an old measurer but all OK.

I have found it stalls easy on damp wood, even with different speeds, but this I expect is normal and out of expected usage.

If I needed a specific size for a lot of use then I'm would be willing to pay £ for quality, but £30ish for a load, can't grumble....

There is a 51mm forstner in the pack, maybe it was simply stamped up wrong? Can you compare the two as in mine the 54 isnoticably larger.

Are we allowed an occasional off-day? I'll book mine for yesterday then #-o
yes indeed, the vernier zero was wrong. All fine on the Forstner front. It was Richard who made the thing that goes in the hole who pointed out to me he made it 57. Oh dear!
Friday was the day I delivered the quarter-tonner, then the sad news about Richard T... I allow myself a rubbish day yesterday.
So if these bits are still available I have to say a worthwhile bargain.
The issue now is I need 57mm, so will explore some of the ideas above. Thanks and apologies for duff info.

Eric The Viking":15fvr39f said:
Similarly to MM, I have a decent set of hole saws, originally bought for downlights and plumbing. They don't make as much mess as Forstners. They will do blind holes too if you're careful (you have to stop and chisel every now and then, and use good extraction to prevent burning). Used in a drill press, they will leave quite a clean finish, too.

They're definitely not as good as good Forstners, and don't leave that beautifully clean bottom to the hole (can be important, I know), but they are a lot cheaper, and the sizes are pretty accurate.

I use holesaws for fitting downlights into plasterboard and thin cladding but I use the forstner for fitting them into solid beams, etc. Had a few jobs where customers wanted them fitted into non-structural beams, personally I think they look gash :?

Back