Bargain, but to late for me

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike.C

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

As some of you will already know i have recently ordered the Axminster CT150DL planer at a cost of £696 including the dreaded VAT.

As you will also know this machine is exactly the same as the Jet 54A and that Jet is part of or at least something to do with Axminster.

Well if any of you are in the market for this machine you could save a few quid by going to Poolewood Machinery www.poolewood.co.uk as they are selling the Jet 54A for £624 including VAT a not to be sneered at saving of £72. Just my luck.

The strange thing is (apart from the price) they are also selling the Axminster CT150DL for £696. This is the first time i have seen a Axminster badged product for sale outside Axminster, they are usually badged Jet. Or have i been going around with my eyes shut?
If the price of the same machine can be that different at one company it really shows that you have got to shop around.

I do hope one of you benefits from the above.

Mike

SORRY. I feel a right fool now. I just went back to the site to see if they had any other bargains and i noticed that the reason this machine is reduced is because it was a display model for 1 month.But it is still classed as new and unused. Sorry

Hi Mike,

Still too rich for my blood, but I'm sure someone will appreciate the tip :).

As for the relationship between Jet and Axminster, I don't think there's anything too close. It's possible that Axminster are rebadging Jet equipment or (more likely, I think) they're sourcing from the same original manufacter as Jet.

Poolewood seem to have quite a few bits of Axminster kit for sale, including some of Axminster's cheaper Perform range (like this one:
http://www.poolewood.co.uk/acatalog/Dri ... CCD12.html

Pete W":znhttd9y said:
As for the relationship between Jet and Axminster, I don't think there's anything too close.
Yep, I'm sure it's total coincidence that Jet UK's address is in Axminster... :roll:

Cheers, Alf

As discussed many time before Jet is Axminster.

Rgds

Noel, succinctly.

PS Best move Axminster ever made.

Well, a bit of research reveals that Jet UK and Axminster tools share not only an Axminster address but the identical postcode.

Further research suggests that the relationship between the two companies is somewhat closer than I thought, although politically difficult since Axminster does have Jet machinery for sale but doesn't promote them (indeed makes it almost impossible to find them) and isn't listed as a reseller on the Jet UK website.

I'd guess the situation is deliberately made as confusing and complicated and obscure as possible to avoid upsetting Jet's other UK resellers, and Axminster's other manufacturers.

(Sorry if this is old news to you old hands :oops:. But I love a good mystery :))

Hi All,

As discussed many times before Jet is Axminster? Well being fairly new i didn't know about that.
But i do know that after receiving my BM58 mortiser with both Jet and Axminster decals on the same machine i had an idea that they were related somehow.

Regards

Mike

Hi Sherlock, sorry, Pete....

Here's the Agatha info you may find interesting:
Axminster own Jet UK. The tools and machinery are all made in Taiwan by WMH Tool Group. www.wmhtoolgroup.ch
Axminster have had a relabelling agreement with WMH for many years. As Axminster are primarily a mail order company it would have been difficult to increase market share from a single UK base without a retail network. Therefore www.jet.uk.com was born to distribute and market Jet branded tools. This arrangement brings a new brand to a wider market and yet retains and possibly, through discussions like this, makes the Axminster brand more well known.
WHM also own Jet, Performax, Powermatic and other brands in North America.

Rgds

Noel, a very happy Jet owner.

If I had the money, I'd be a very happy Jet owner too :).

Sadly, this year's budget is allocated to essential workshop development - ie, a new flat roof on the garage, and a visit from an electrician since I'm finding the current single (count 'em, one) power socket in there a bit limiting.

The good news is that work starts in a couple of weeks :D.

Pete,

Hope all goes well with the roof and that you are blessed with many happy and healthy double sockets.

Rgds

Noel, a happy Jet owner skint until 05

I think we have to be a bit careful here.
My local independent tool shop, who sell Jet, have told me that the Axminster own brand machines (ie White, as opposed to just badged) are NOT the same as Jet. Same design, maybe, but, according to them, Jet stuff is made in Taiwan, White in mainland China. This may be a fine line to some, and indeed it may be that the same standartds apply, but it does mean that they are not made in the same factory by the same people. It COULD also mean that things like motors and bearings are different.
I have a performax drum sander and a jet bobbin and I, too, am a happy chappie.
Cheers
Steve

Hi Steve,

Interesting ref the Taiwan / China aspect. If I was cynical I'd suggest that this was marketing spiel.... I have a friend who has the Axminster overhead air filter. There are two badges on it - Axmister and Jet. Go figure...
I think quite a few of the Axminster White range are of Chinese origin but the products that are identical, other than badge, are out of the Jet factory in Taiwan.
I suppose at the end of the day if what you have works well and represents value for money it's origin is of little importance.

Rgds

Noel

Back