Bargain but hurry

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garno

Grumpy Old Git
Reaction score
It's our old friend Aldi again.

They have a Ferrex multi tool that retails in stores for £19.99, to get rid of stock they lowered the in store price to £12.99.
But it gets better they have now reduced the price to £7.99. The only downside is that it is only available at that price in store. Oh and don't forget it comes with a 3 year warranty
https://www.aldi.co.uk/ferrex-300w-mult ... 8298051500

SAVING 12 quid off a leatherman or a gerber that you were going to buy anyway.... thats a BARGAIN. =D>
SPENDING 12 quid on a copy that is so bad that even one of the biggest discount shops in europe has to almost give it away to get rid of stock...... :roll: :roll: :roll:

sunnybob":2lurd8uq said:
SAVING 12 quid off a leatherman or a gerber that you were going to buy anyway.... thats a BARGAIN. =D>
SPENDING 12 quid on a copy that is so bad that even one of the biggest discount shops in europe has to almost give it away to get rid of stock...... :roll: :roll: :roll:

Wrong Multi-tool Bob! Garno's linked to an oscillating tool.

Ferrex-300W-Multifunction-Tool-A.jpg

OK, for "leatherman and gerber" substitute any other respectable make you like.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Shows how uninterested i was in that bargain though 8)

sunnybob":2dliy84y said:

Sorry for mentioning it,

Some of us can not afford the top of the range stuff and have to make do with what we can get.
For occassional use (the diy'er) at £7.99 it is a bargain.

Garno":5pz81m5k said:
sunnybob":5pz81m5k said:

Sorry for mentioning it,

Some of us can not afford the top of the range stuff and have to make do with what we can get.

It's good enough that they've now all gone.
Isn't this also a case of "horses for courses"?
If you use one of these all day, or even regularly, it's worth getting a good one.
If you use one of these once in 12 month or so, £12.99 (or whatever) is a fair punt.

RickG":2j05b2c7 said:
Garno":2j05b2c7 said:
sunnybob":2j05b2c7 said:

Sorry for mentioning it,

It's good enough that they've now all gone.
Isn't this also a case of "horses for courses"?
If you use one of these all day, or even regularly, it's worth getting a good one.
If you use one of these once in 12 month or so, £12.99 (or whatever) is a fair punt.

Exactly right,
It is not for the tradesman but for the Diy'er.
The fact it also has a 3 year g/tee for £7.99 (instore price) makes it a no brainer for anyone who may only get to use it once in a while.

There was no personal insult intended.
I have bought tools from LIDL because there are no aldi's in Cyprus (yet)
Every one of them has been a complete failure and even the quick clamps dont clamp. Every time I go in to lidls for food I see people returning tools. Our on island version of ebay has countless "parkside" tools for sale "only used once".
I'm not rich, and have no intention of giving any more of my pension money to them. I'll wait a few weeks (or even months) and save up and buy a better quality. 8)

For the sake of interest, I have Fein 240v and Festool 110v. Before I got the Festool, the Fein had to go in for repair (the second). So I bought one of these cheap multitools as a stand by.

I used it to complete the job that the Fein failed on - which was cutting flush some protruding nails from a high ceiling. It overheated very quickly. Too hot to hold. Then failed.

My take on this - you need to have good quality blades. The change system on the Aldo tool (and Lidl do a similar one) is slow. The tool is capable of light duty only. I think I paid about £13 so I was not expecting much - and that was about right.

I ended up buying a used Festool 110v of fleabay for £80. Including sustainer, accessories and some blades. Very little use and the owner was switching to Festool cordless. It snipped off the nails in seconds as if they were not there. It will go through hard oak, cement board, trim plasterboard, do chasing, cut off nails etc. Doesn't get hot or miss a beat. You tend to get what you pay for with tools.

sunnybob":2fwirzeh said:
There was no personal insult intended.
)

None taken, and as always I appreciate your input on my threads, even if we sometimes disagree with each other :D

Sorry, but I dont agree that we disagree.

(my humour is often mistaken for non humour)
=D> =D> =D> =D> 8)
About 8 years ago now I bought a WORX multitool, I think it was one of the first, sold by a company in southampton.
That machine has worked for hundreds, if not thousands of hours. I've cut solid concrete, brick, metal and wood, and for the last five years used it extensively as a sanding tool. Worth every penny I paid for it.
Wore out all the original tools, in fact wore them out to an honourable death. Bought replacements from Lidl's, each lasted for 1 or even 2 minutes before being thrown away. :roll: :roll:

I've bought hacksaw blades and drills from Wilkinsons - absolutely rubbish - they went blunt in no time. The blades didn't even hack through anything.

Bandsaw from Aldi - returned as I came to the conclusion it was too small to get any turnable wood under there.

Aldi Digital Caliper - bought and working well!!

If I'd bought a multi-tool I'd expect to change any cutting or sanding disks as I'd expect them to be dire.

A side story...
More than a dozen years ago or maybe a few more, I was working away from home and desperately needed some junior hacksaw blades. I went to the nearest shop (small one man band) and bought some.
This was the first time I encountered chinesium metal.
W.T.F??? :shock: :shock: :shock:
I went back to the shop and complained that his hacksaw blades would not even cut copper pipe.
He said (and I quote) " I know".
Being the very model of a gentleman, I politely asked why he stocked something so obviously unfit for purpose.
His reply left me quite speechless.
" My customers wont pay for decent blades"

I rest my case m'lud. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Steve, my local tool merchant says much the same. He mainly supplies the trade with proper gear, but also stocks Silverline. When asked why he said DIYers won't pay for tools that are any good.

Maybe its the variety of power tools people expect to own now. My old man was a teacher but he also did painting and decorating in the holidays. He was good too, mind. Handy round the house and so on.

But he probably owned an electric drill and that was it. Still got it. Metal B and D. Different times but he wouldn't have expected to own an electric planer, an ROS, cordless drill etc etc
Less people seem to diy now but want an easy solution to all problems. Hence powertools by the dozen made of chinesium. Because decent tools cost money. And why spend money on decent tools if it's for a one off? Vast majority of non trades people I know now wouldnt dream of doing anything more than getting a roller out to tosh up some paint.
No tirade about lidl aldi etc, own a few myself. Couple of wee beaters
But also a couple of real duffers. More a sad reflection on modern expectations to buy it then no surprise it's borked after 6 months and yet another washing machine get lanked into landfill because it's built to be impossible to fix.
Makes my blood boil.

Back