Bargain Alert - Ikea £1 Aluminium Extrusions - DIY MFT Style Clamping

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I only have Bessey rail clamps and the step on the clamping face of those is smaller than the wall thickness of the extrusion so they do clamp very effectively on the curtain track. It's a shame the Festool ones don't.

Bessey_Rail_Clamp_1.jpg

Bessey_Rail_Clamp_2.jpg

Thanks for the heads up on this one @Rob_Mc - I've just been and grabbed 10 on my way home as I am planning an MFT style bench and hope to use these for clamping to the side of the bench where I was initially thinking of installing t-track.

There doesn't seem to be the problem @petermillard describes when using the Makita rail clamps as like @Rob_Mc says, the step on the clamp face is (fractionally!) smaller than the wall thickness of the extrusion. They do seem to clamp very solidly indeed though.

Attachments

• Photo 23-07-2021, 19 21 56.jpg
    Photo 23-07-2021, 19 21 56.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 76
  • Photo 23-07-2021, 19 21 37.jpg
    Photo 23-07-2021, 19 21 37.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 76
  • Photo 23-07-2021, 19 26 38.jpg
    Photo 23-07-2021, 19 26 38.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
I have a UJK top, most of the time with a benchdogs fence in place, and have festool rails and festool clamps, both screw and quick clamp and others. I lucked out as my wife was going to MK IKEA store, and she brought 4 of the IKEA rails back for me. I don’t seem to have any issue with the festool clamps on these. The clamps slide in the same ways as they slide in the festool rails and when something is under them it locks in place firmly. The benchdogs fence dogs also lock solidly in place which is useful for me.

very useful for £4 thanks OP

Last edited:
Just picked up three lengths this evening, a pocket full of paper tapes, some free wood and 6 sets of Ladda batteries, which are back in stock. A successful Saturday evening trip :giggle: Thanks OP!!

Just picked up three lengths this evening, a pocket full of paper tapes, some free wood and 6 sets of Ladda batteries, which are back in stock. A successful Saturday evening trip :giggle: Thanks OP!!

They stopped handing out free tapes at our Sheffield store due to Covid !

Was passing this morning so bought a couple of these aluminium extrusions.

First impression : They're curtain rails with a max support weight of 10kg. As such, there is some flexing due to the low thickness of the extrusion walls. I think these will make excellent fences where they can be supported along their length. I'm not convinced about their strength for clamping, but to be fair I haven't tried clamps on them yet ( others have ).

A £1 a length, I still think they are a bargain.

Sandyn : How did you get *free wood* from IKEA ?

I suspect the quoted 10Kg support weight limit is probably more a function of the overall Ikea system for using them for hanging curtains from the ceiling. It uses mounting brackets which have a plastic piece which locates into the T-slot on the back of the rail and either this is likely to be the weakest link or the plastic gliders that carry plastic hooks on which you hang your curtains. The aluminium extrusion will certainly take many times the 10Kg static load before failure.

I suspect the quoted 10Kg support weight limit is probably more a function of the overall Ikea system for using them for hanging curtains from the ceiling. It uses mounting brackets which have a plastic piece which locates into the T-slot on the back of the rail and either this is likely to be the weakest link or the plastic gliders that carry plastic hooks on which you hang your curtains. The aluminium extrusion will certainly take many times the 10Kg static load before failure.

Yes It's almost certainly a weight limit for the curtains and the hooks that hold them rather than the rail itself.

Sandyn : How did you get *free wood* from IKEA ?
When I say wood, it's actually just parts of units and shelving, wood effect chipboard panels. I got 3/4 of a shelf unit, lol. One side was missing, but it's really useful for me. I didn't have my trailer otherwise I would have taken a lot more. There were lots of white panel chipboard, cupboard doors. That was the Edinburgh branch. Sods law, last time I visited with the trailer, there was nothing in the free pile. There seemed to be a lot of reduced stuff in the store and they really discount well.

When I say wood, it's actually just parts of units and shelving, wood effect chipboard panels. I got 3/4 of a shelf unit, lol. One side was missing, but it's really useful for me. I didn't have my trailer otherwise I would have taken a lot more. There were lots of white panel chipboard, cupboard doors. That was the Edinburgh branch. Sods law, last time I visited with the trailer, there was nothing in the free pile. There seemed to be a lot of reduced stuff in the store and they really discount well.

Wow ... didn't even know there was a free pile at IKEA stores. I must pay more attention next time I'm in :).

didn't even know there was a free pile at IKEA stores. I must pay more attention next time I'm in :).
In Edinburgh, it's outside in the pick-up area. They also have a bargain corner inside with some interesting stuff.

I thought there was a store in Aberdeen? It's where all the money is! :giggle: :giggle:
No, never had an Ikea, and John Lewis departed earlier this year. There's still capital up Deeside, but spending money seems tight. Maybe when the oil industry switches to renewables....................................

Back