Barbeque table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artie

Sawdust manufacturer.
Reaction score
I've been asked by a customer to make a long folding table for use at barbeques.
He wants to be able to fold it away and store against a wall when not in use.
He suggested making from two 8 by 4 sheets of plywood.
I have no experience making tables and would appreciate any tips how to make it solid enough without it weighing a ton.

What's it for? If people are to sit at it to eat (and saw through their steaks) it needs to be sturdy. If it's for putting things on as side/serving table, not so much.

Most village halls and similar have folding tables, and there are wallpaper pasting tables. Maybe Google those and get some design ideas.

16506204792017737633299756572222.jpg
16506206057438334526542301428125.jpg
16506206499224834900826203776862.jpg

Built this from reclaimed timber about 15 years ago. It's over 7ft long and we've had 8 people round it for barbecues in the past. Hinges lock the legs open when upright, could do with locking turnbuckles to keep them in the closed position

I made something like this with a lift off top for my track saw. Pretty sturdy and folds up nicely. It is fairly heavy but it can be wheeled around easily enough. I did make some latches to lock the hinges on mine.

I've been asked by a customer to make a long folding table for use at barbeques.
He wants to be able to fold it away and store against a wall when not in use.
He suggested making from two 8 by 4 sheets of plywood.
I have no experience making tables and would appreciate any tips how to make it solid enough without it weighing a ton.
Make it as two tables, or three even. Folding legs or trestles. There are clips and fittings for holding tables together as one - it's a common issue.

I made something like this with a lift off top for my track saw. Pretty sturdy and folds up nicely. It is fairly heavy but it can be wheeled around easily enough. I did make some latches to lock the hinges on mine.
I thought I would make a similar one for myself while making one by request for a friend thinking it might come in handy. Did not think for one minute it would be used as much as it is. Mine is only 1.5m long and one of the most used items in my cramped workshop.

I thought I would make a similar one for myself while making one by request for a friend thinking it might come in handy. Did not think for one minute it would be used as much as it is. Mine is only 1.5m long and one of the most used items in my cramped workshop.
Same here it's so useful, mine is based around a board for a Subbuteo pitch 🤣, for a family tournament at Christmas, so similar size.
It's West Brom vs Melchester Rovers if you're interested LOL

Attachments

• IMG_20211218_150419.jpg
    IMG_20211218_150419.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 19
Peter Millard has a YouTube video how to make a portable workbench with a follow-up lighter weight version in his 10 minute workshop series.
Maybe worth a look for inspiration.

Peter Millard has a YouTube video how to make a portable workbench with a follow-up lighter weight version in his 10 minute workshop series.
Maybe worth a look for inspiration.
Thanks.
That's pretty close to what I have planned in my head only 2440 by 1220 top, frame from 75 by 38
75 by 75 legs and single 75 by 35 rail to brace the legs instead of the shelf he has under.

Back