Bang to rights?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
likely scenario, the house holder (real victim) will now be charged and imprisoned. The burglar who hasn't been arrested for his crime, will sue and win. The householder and his family will lose their house and business...........................................................................not exactly justice for protecting your family is it?

mark270981":3mdy1nxj said:
likely scenario, the house holder (real victim) will now be charged and imprisoned. The burglar who hasn't been arrested for his crime, will sue and win. The householder and his family will lose their house and business...........................................................................not exactly justice for protecting your family is it?

In the last couple of instances the householders were eventually released without charge. The usual scenario is the householder is arrested then bailed after which the public prosecutor declines to bring charges and the case is dropped.

Here's one such report.

Slightly different scenario I think, burglary and shooting would appear to be in differing locations so not self defense if that is the case. But who knows, no specific details have emerged as far as I can find.

I dunno, getting a jury to convict is getting more and more difficult. The CPS only prosecutes where there is what they describe as 'a reasonable chance of a conviction,' or similar verbage.
This is why you see their statement on occasion of 'insuficient evidence'. According to our local CPS prosecutor the CPS prefers cut and dried cases.

Roy.

Well, seeing as how I just happened to be visiting a client out at Whitbourne this evening, :-k I popped into the local pub (which had it's satellite TV van in the carpark!). Still confused picture. Did the householder shoot them at Whitbourne or did he chase afetr them and hoot them at Leigh Sinton...which must have been a hairy old chase and personally I can't believe that he did this since he'd need time to get his gun, I know the road and there are several ways they can go quickly and be out of sight, so they'd be long gone.

But that then does bring us round to a good point that dw made a while back and that is the over-reaction by the police. If, as it looks highly likely that the shot guy was dumped out of the getaway car in Leigh Sinton then why did the poiice shut the damn road all day? What forensics are they going to get? Blood? The shooting was in Whitbourne. Ah well, another excuse for Blues and Two's I guess.

CHJ":11pbo7a6 said:
Slightly different scenario I think, burglary and shooting would appear to be in differing locations so not self defense if that is the case. But who knows, no specific details have emerged as far as I can find.

Ah, quite different if the person chases the burglar off the property and then kills him. Then the householder has not the same protection from the law.

There's heaps of articles/reports on line about this issue, here's just one at random.

I'm with Chas on this one. I read it that he had burgled a house in one village and been shot somewhere else, which is not protecting your property, but exacting revenge. If this is the case then the householder will be (quite rightly) charged. If however, the perpetrator was shot at the scene but escaped to another village before being found injured, then, IMO, it is his tough luck and the householder should not (and probably will not) be prosecuted.

Mike

according to some reports the householder in question may not be so innocent after all. It is alleged he is a farmer of sorts, except he isn't growing things that are legal??!

Latest posts

Back