Bandsaws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sapper

Established Member
Reaction score
Morning all,

I'm new to the forum so, first post.

I'm well into retirement so got lots of time on my hand, I've been doing woodwork as a hobby most of my life. I remember my old woodworking teacher who used to throw blocks of wood at you if you misbehaved and would put iodine in a cut if you did it while not concentrating mind you, that was in 50s.

Anyhow I've always fancied getting myself a fairly good bandsaw which will tackle most DIY jobs and also, if possible, cut through some 75mmX75mm softwood 600mm lengths. I will have about £400/£500 to spend eventually.

So really would appreciate any recommendations and advice from the more knowledgeable than me.

Thanks.

you'll have to think about how much depth of cut you'll need and how wide you want to cut and go from there, I think the record sabre range is very good, other than that try and find a working vintage one, they aren't as common on ebay now, the world has gone mad in terms of things getting more expensive.

you'll have to think about how much depth of cut you'll need and how wide you want to cut and go from there, I think the record sabre range is very good, other than that try and find a working vintage one, they aren't as common on ebay now, the world has gone mad in terms of things getting more expensive.
Glad to see things are picking up here!
Edit: ...Not that I'm suggesting something like below, just saying it likely has a knock on effect in the used market.
There's similar machines in UK on the bay
(buy it now listed) which one could offer about a grand for, if they were in good nick. i.e have a fence and running.
Those machines are still sitting there for 1250 and I think have best offer option, while a real rough Centauro is going for 695.
Centauro cheap.jpg

I bought my 24" in similar nick to the machines pictured above, no fence and some damage, for 500 euros
Not unreasonable to suggest folks wanting to upgrade a 400mm machine in favour of a 500mm, but jump to a used 600 as it's normally around half the money.

Haven't looked at the bay, or gumtree but reckon there must be some 400 mm wheeled machines about,
that would be the minimum size I'd bother looking at.
Search for band saw, aswell as bandsaw, sometimes I see some listed as bansaw!
Good luck hunting! :)

Screenshot-2022-2-20 Band Saws for sale in Cork for €700 on DoneDeal.png
Screenshot-2022-2-20 Band Saws for sale in Cork for €700 on DoneDeal(1).png

Not that I drink coca cola, but doesn't the sticker look lovely on the saw :)

Screenshot-2022-2-20 Band Saws for sale in Cork for €700 on DoneDeal(2).png

Last edited:
Not bandsaw related, but this sticker on my dust extractor would probably be banned now! Youd get sued for discimination......

Base your saw size on the maximum you think you'll need... no point buying something that will cope with 4" timber, then next year need a 6" depth..... go bigger to start with 😀 used is good. You get more for the money and if you arent a heavy user, you wont need to worry about it being a used machine. If you want peace of mind, of course, buy new

Attachments

• 20220212_092207.jpg
    20220212_092207.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 42
I have an Inca Euro 260 which I find a brilliant little saw. Throat depth only 260mm but will cut 3” deep no problem. Doesn’t take up much room, reliable and very accurate. Don’t make them anymore but occasionally come up secondhand. Look for a later one with direct rather than belt drive.

Latest posts

Back