Bandsaws (Record or Scheppach) ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi,

I wonder what people here think about these 2 bandsaws, im pretty much settled on what table saw to buy but im now thinking about a bandsaw & im currently thinking about either the "Record RSBS14" or the "Scheppach Basato 3"

Ive read lots of good reviews about the Record but then again ive also heard many good things about the Scheppach Basato.

Any feedback on these 2 machines would be very helpful, im mainly after accuracy & build quality.

Thx,
Norm Fan :p

Hi Norm Fan

Why have you dismissed the Kity 613 from your considerations? I've got one and I'm perfectly happy with it - now I've binned its original blade and got a proper one! Mind, you should do that with whatever bandsaw you decide to go for. It improves the accuracy no end.

I've come across a number of people who like the Basato 3 and I believe it's on special offer right now at Rutlands
(http://www.rutlands.co.uk/).

Yours

Gill

Check out the March edition of The woodworker magazine as they have a test on various bandsaws. They also have a website at
( www.getwoodworking.com ) I am after a cheap sliding mitre saw at present as I cant convince the boss (wife) to let me have more expensive toys, I mean tools. Best of luck with your searching.

Jeff

If you don't need a big 'un, have a look at the laser guided 8" slider in B&Q: I was well impressed with its sliding action... Sweet as a nut!

The 10" without the lazer was about the same money, and the action was diabolical....Obviously from different makers.

Pete

Yes the Kity 613 looks a good machine but its a bit more expensive & is going towards the highend of my budget.

I have been searching on the net for reviews of the Basato 3 but its very hard to find out anymore info, it looks like this is the best wordworking site/forum out there.

:)

Norm fan,

Go for the Basato; no question. It blows the Record out of the water. Andy King reviewed it in February's Good Woodworking and raved about it before the review had even come out; you should be able to get a back issue from them with no difficulty. If it wasn't for a pressing desire for a larger capacity bandsaw, I'd be tempted to get one myself, instead of my Elu. And I don't fall for just any old bandsaw, you know :wink:

Cheers, Jester
#cough#UK Woodworking Group#cough# :)lol: Sorry Charley, couldn't resist!)

lol Jester, don't worry as you've haven't been online for a while you have a few free #coughs# left :p

Norm Fan,
As Jester said theres no contest. I saw the new Basato at a ww show and it's very impressive and I'm pretty sure that when I move later this year the Basato will be the first thing I buy.

Jeff,
Have you seen Axminster's new sliding mitre saw? http://www.axminster.co.uk/pdfs/jan03_04_05.pdf

Thanks for all the comments everyone,

I have taken a careful look at all the other bandsaws in my price range & ive also come to the conclusion the Basato is the one for me, not that there is anything wrong with the others that people have suggested, I guess it comes down to an overall feeling you get in the end :p

Its hard to say without seeing them but I get the impression the Record bandsaw while having a much deeper cutting depth than the Basato 3, is a more crude device, the rip fence looks a lot weaker in construction to the basato 3's & the basato just seems more of a refined machine I guess, thats the feeling I am getting.

I see there is a 3 week waiting list on the basato 3 so I had better get ordering, im going to order it from Rutlands as £339 is the cheapest ive seen so far, I will also pick up the mitre fence while im at it.

I ordered the HMS260 planer/thicknesser today to go with the bandsaw, I hope ive made the right choice, I thought about the Record RSPT260 for a while there but after seeing lots of bad comments I thought the HMS260 would be the better buy, I like the fact its got rubber in & out feed rollers so as to not mark the wood in anyway.

Ok well as soon as I get the HMS260 (hopefully Tuesday) once ive got it all set up I will post my comments along with a review here on the forums if anyone is interested, I will do the same when I get my hands on the Basato.

Thanks for the help guys

Nice one Norm Fan 8) Your going to have some great kit there.

The HMS260 is also on my 'wish list' :) I don't think you'll regret buying it, I know a few woodworkers who have it and all think it is the business.
If you haven't already got one your going to need a dust extractor cause your new super planer will be making a lot of mess :?

It will be great if you could do a review on the planer and/or bandsaw. I for one would like to know what you think of them.

Good Luck with your new toys...er...I...mean..tools :lol:

yeah no problem, soon as I get settled with them I will do a full review, good points, bad points etc.. along with some photos (I got a new digital camera at christmas so at the moment its any old excuse to whip it out, the camera I mean!! hehe.) :lol:

Your quite right I do need an extractor of some kind, I was wondering about the "Record RSDE1" its called an "Economy" extractor but im thinking it might do the job ok.
http://www.recordpower.co.uk/DisplayPro ... sp?p=01528

Either that or I could make my own, ive got a massive fan in my garage not doing anything, I could run some piping around the walls of the garage leading to the outside, plug in my new planer/thicknesser & let the mountain of dust & shavings blow all up the street :shock: lol..

Thanks Chris,

That actually looks a lot better value for money than the Record one, I will see what other info I can find about it.

It does look more like a proper extraction unit though,

Nice one,
Nick :wink:

The only info I neded was the price :D I bought one a week ago and haven't regretted it. it was a bit of a pain to assemble & I use a few of my own nuts & bolts in preference to those supplied, but it does the job well. I just had to re-arrange a few things in the shed to get it to fit in nicely. The charnwood web site gives local stockists or you can order direct

Has anyonr tried the Nutool msr250 sliding mitre saw. It is £125 at my local Superstore :?
jeff

So Chris, whats the suck like on that one then? :eek: I know its hard to describe in words but do you think its got enough go to fit a reducer so it can be coupled to hand tools?

As they say these type of extractors dont have the pressure to use on anything less that a 3" diameter hose.

Your right though, the price is very tempting, I mean why pay more!

how does it suck??! :shock:

I only have the standard 100mm hose and that takes care of anything on the floor/workbench i.e. great vacuum cleaner

I have ordered 62 & 38mm reducers for my jointer & thicknesser, but so far have simply held the 100mm nozzle near the appropriate outlet (secured with a couple of feet of earthing cable) and get pretty much 100% collection from the jointer and about 80% from the thicknesser, so I ain't complaining for the outlay. I expect to get hold of the reducers this week & will keep you posted.

I suspect that I won't improve much on the 80% collection rate on the thicknesser, a 38mm outlet does not look large enough for the quantity of chipping produced unless I only plane off 1mm or so at a time. I hope I'm wrong, but I can put up with it.

Back