bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fudge111

Reaction score
Hi I am new to this site and I have just purchased off ebay a Burgess powerline BBS-20 Mark 11 Bandsaw and was hopeing somebody may be able to help me find a manual or tell me why the blade thats on it keeps jumping off the wheels.
thank you

Hi Fudge
It sounds as if the wheels are not co-planar, or are very badly tracked.
Setting up any bandsaw requires several things to be set just so. None of the steps is difficult, but they do have to be carried out in the right order.
I'm not allowed to post the link I'd like to post (!), but if you search this forum for similar threads you will be pointed in the right direction.
Regards
Steve Maskery
PS make sure that you get a nice new blade from Ian at Tuffsaws, it will make the whole job easier. They are the best.

Blister":1oxd2xug said:

I'd second this. There's two really easy things that dramatically improved the performance of my bandsaw - one was learning how to set it up properly, and the other was using a decent blade. Steve's DVD does a good job of explaining the setup (and also why it works the way it works) - I picked it up as a tester to see if I wanted to invest in the rest of the Workshop Essentials set, and I think the answer is "yes" as soon as I obtain a tablesaw (since it's not really cost-effective to buy them individually).

On the subject of decent blades, a lot of people recommend TuffSaws, who reputation would have are head and shoulders above their competition. I've just ordered my first set of blades from there after already having been impressed by a previous set of replacements, I'm hoping to see another marked improvement!

Hi Jake,

Whilst I totally agree with all the above posts, you should,be aware that the burgess saw is a very light weight machine and really only suited to light work. Getting it set up correctly and having a good blade from Ian @ Tuffsaws will help enormously but do tell him which saw it is for and he will be able to select the extra flexible blade stock that these saws need. Go easy on the tension, using the minimum necessary to keep the blade on and driven. Excess tension will bend the frame.

Good Luck

Bob

9fingers":34r71dqu said:
Hi Jake,

Whilst I totally agree with all the above posts, you should,be aware that the burgess saw is a very light weight machine and really only suited to light work. Getting it set up correctly and having a good blade from Ian @ Tuffsaws will help enormously but do tell him which saw it is for and he will be able to select the extra flexible blade stock that these saws need. Go easy on the tension, using the minimum necessary to keep the blade on and driven. Excess tension will bend the frame.

Good Luck

Bob

That's what I thought Bob when I got one cheap at a bootfair but nobody would buy it on so I kept it.

I then put a Tuffsaw blade on it and WOW!

You are not going to believe this but it is the tool I now use most in the workshop.... albeit for trimming and small stuff but it can cut pretty thick Indian rosewood stock.....

DSC_0546.JPG

...this would be a challenge to most small to midrange saws...

DSC_0551.JPG

...both inner and outer curves AND the straight line were done on the Burgess....

DSC_0556.JPG

So the setup using Steve's excellent DVDs and Ian's fantastic blade (which hasn't broken yet even though it's a three wheeler.... :wink: ) is ideal

These little machines if you get an old one which is made better...are really handy diamonds....

As for the handbook...try Record as Bob says...but they really are the simplest of machines so if you need help...PM me.

Jim

That's impressive Jim. We had one at work in the lab and our stores only stocked standard record blades which were not that good and soon blunted as we mainly cut fibreglass circuit boards with it.

As ever it seems that Ian's blade will improve every saw that they get fitted too.

I've got an old Rexon from a similar era - maybe I'll have to dig that out and get a tuff blade for it and give it a try.

Bob

Blister":1s633fuk said:
Hello Fudge

Welcome to our forum :ho2

There are several bandsaw setup DVD's you can buy

I think Axminster tools do one see the web site

Or

this one is recommended by some forum users

http://www.workshopessentials.com/shop/ ... duct_id=53

Have fun and stay SAFE :ho2

Got it coming as a Xmas prezi hopefuly :roll: I have dropped enough hints :D

Hi
Thanks to you all, very informative and this seams a good site for info.
Thanks all once again

Latest posts

Back