Bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
I came across this tip at a web site , It frightens me a bit

07/31/00
Smoothing-out Bandsaw cuts.
By removing the set on your bandsaw blades, they'll produce a much smoother cut, without those tell-tale tooth marks. Here are 3 ways: * Lay the blade on a hard metal surface (anvil, etc) and peen the teeth with a smooth-faced hammer. * Pinch the teeth with a pair of pliers. * Hone the edges of the teeth with a coarse stone until the set disappears. Remember, however, that blades which have been altered in this fashion will not cut as tight a corner ... nor will they cut as rapidly as blades with set teeth. Therefore, push your workpiece through the blade more slowly and leave yourself a little more radius than you would normally need.

Wouldnt it be easier simply to use more tpi and/or less pressure pushing it through?

In one of David Charlesworths book he has a chapter on using s/s fish and meat bandsaw blades. They have a very fine set and produce the result you are talking about. Hamilton, the brand, if memory serves. I'm sure He said Axminster sell them.
hope this helps
Philly :D

Latest posts

Back