Bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allejo

Reaction score
I have a light benchtop Fox bandsaw and was wondering Why the blade keeps wandering about. Also can’t keep the blade going in a straight line even though I use a guide fence every time. Any help would be very grateful

Two things affect the quality of a bandsaw cut:
1 The sharpness of the appropriate blade for the job, and
2 The machine setup. It's not difficult, but there are several considerations and they each have to be addressed in the right order.

That's why there are a multiplicity of good resources available for novice bandsaw users. There are a couple of good books, Duginski and Meyler, and a couple of excellent British DVD/MP4 resources, Peter Sefton's and my own. There are also US ones, which are, of course, inferior :)

Last edited:
Hello
What sort of blade are you using?
It sounds like its running good enough to actually cut with, but hard to know if you
mean ...
The blades wandering about when running stationary, when all guides retracted and not in contact with the blade.
Or
The blades wandering about when cutting.

I shall try and answer the latter

It sounds like your blade has too much TPI , a kind of rule is to have no more than
3 or 4 teeth in the cut.
You can slightly break this rule if you have a new blade, but if the blade is dull then forget about it.

Beam strength refers to the force required to twist or deform a blade,
There is a strong chance that your being optimistic about the capability of your machine, although you don't mention what material, the height and the length of what you are cutting, nor the blade width and TPI.
If you need new blades these are things to consider.
You could add gauge thickness of blade aswell, if you are talking about the widest blade you can possibly handle to suit the machine.

Somebody will chime in as to what blades are best suited to these small saws, I've heard folks mention alternate TPI blades work well on a small saw.

That should be enough questions to get the answers you require.
Tom

You certainly will need the thin gauge blades, that's a given with any small bandsaw. Of course the blade you have on it at the moment may well be one.

Two things affect the quality of a bandsaw cut:
1 The sharpness of the appropriate blade for the job, and
2 The machine setup. It's not difficult, but there are several considerations and they each have to be addressed in the right order.

That's why there are a multiplicity of good resources available for novice bandsaw users. There are a couple of good books, Duginski and Meyler, and a couple of excellent British DVD/MP4 resources, Peter Sefton's and my own. There are also US ones, which are, of course, inferior :)
Hello Steve sorry for late reply and Very kindly thank you for the information. I think I shall invest in one or the other books as a means of having an at hand reference so to speak and I found a couple of utube videos which I have found to be very useful. So thank you Very much for your information and your time.

Back