Bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nivek

Reaction score
Hello Every One
This is my first post, I have just purchased my first band-saw
record power BS250 It came with a 1/4" 6TPI Blade I am told that the blade should sit in the center
of the top wheel, and the top guide bearings sit about 1mm behind the gullet, with the blade in the center of my top wheel my top guide bearings sit forward of the gullet over the teeth, If i adjust the
blade forward on the top wheel to place the guide bearings behind the gullet , the blade falls off,
the only adjustment i have on the bearings is in and out, i can not see how to get around this problem
any advice is welcome
nivek

Congrats on your bandsaw.

There's a YouTube video by Alex Snodgrass that people keep raving about on how to set up your bandsaw.

You can adjust the "tilt" on the top wheel on the knob that's connected and directly behind the top wheel. From memory turning the anticlockwise would tile the wheel forward, and vice versa. The teeth of the blade should be in the centre of the wheel. If it keeps falling off either forward or backwards then it's probably because you have too much tension on the wheel.

Good luck!

Adrian

nivek":8geimyp5 said:
….., with the blade in the center of my top wheel my top guide bearings sit forward of the gullet over the teeth, .

Don't know the specifics of the Record machine but invariably you reposition the block that the side bearings are mounted on (for and aft) to position them relative to the gullets. (you don't position the blade to suit the guides)

Setting up a bandsaw is not that difficult, but you do need to do the right things in the right order, otherwise you can spend a geological age becoming frustrated with your machine.
My advice is: spend a fraction of the cost of your machine on some Knowledge on how to set up and use it. I don't just mean my own offerings, there are other excellent resources available besides mine. If you want a book, look for Mark Duginski or Lonnie Bird. If you want a DVD, I'd prefer it if you bought mine, but Peter Sefton has one as well. Neither of us is American, so we both score points there, I think. Both of us have justifiably excellent ratings.
It is a small amount to pay for a very helpful leg up, otherwise you can spend hours learning the hard way.

This was my first bandsaw. It was a small, but capable machine.

The 2 things that made a huge difference to me were a) a Tuffsaws blade, b) following the snodgrass setup.

Sounds like you have done all the reasonable adjustments as you would find in a basic setup video.
Is the guide post parallel with the saw cabinet, i.e...
Does your guides stay in the same position relative to the blade, when the guidepost is raised/lowered ?
If so...
Have you thought about taking off the table and checking for coplanar wheels?

It may be the case that one of the wheels are really far out of whack on the shaft, and needs to be adjusted, so the wheels are coplanar.

Not fimiliar with this machine, but if your investigating this further, I strongly suggest you
Make sure that you take pictures of the machine before you adjust everything, as you may void your warrenty otherwise!
In my experience, Record power seem to regard adjustment of the lower wheel jacking bolts as rocket science and needs to be done by computer aided machinery :lol:
So it would be fair to guess with anything else other than reasonable adjustments , it would be the same story.
Make sure you take clear pictures of the position of the shaft on the back of the machine, at the very least, whilst marking and measuring the original positions of each part before touching anything and everything.

It may be the case that one wheel needs a shim out, or the opposite case being one not fully seated on the shaft.
Good luck

Hi Everyone
Thanks for all your comments, I have had a quick look but will study them later,
CHJ Looking From the front of my band saw i can not see any way of adjusting the bearings to place
them behind the blade They move in and out but not left to right.

Thanks nivek

Right hand side about 1 inch up from the guides is a nut. Slacken it then move the bearings backwards along with the entire carrier, tighten it back up. Now set you rear bearing to just off the back of the blade.

Hi Everyone
Sorry about the delay in responding to your advice. After checking out other BS250
Band saws i found that mine was wrong . The guide bearing mounting has a locking nut which is in
a elongated slot allowing the mount to move back and forth other BS250 slot was 30mm long
on mine it was 16mm long. I returned it and a new mount was fitted and everything set up.
I am now happy and making sawdust Thank you all for your help and advice

nivek

Back