Bandsaw woes!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkB353

Reaction score
Hi,
First post so I hope I've put this in the right place.

Problems with a Record RSBS14 bandsaw. I know it's a light weight machine but I've always tuned and maintained it and regularly use it to re-saw up to it's full capacity.... until today!!

Cutting some curves I heard a loud bang from underneath the machine. A quick search revealed that a lower bearing had seized and somehow been torn from its mount. New bearing ordered I decided to continue using the machine minus the one bearing.

I set it up and to cut a long story short, the blade is running parallel to the fence and it is tracking centrally on both wheels. The problem is the blade is pulling away from the fence. No tracking adjustments have worked. I've tried angling the fence both ways, same result, the work pulls away from the fence significantly, (10mm over a foot). New blade same result. I'll try and explain what i'm seeing. When I place the blade centrally in the cut the workpiece is parallel to the fence. it's as though the blade is being deflected away from the fence but parallel to it. Could the wheels be out of line?

Sorry this is a bit long winded. Any help would be appreciated as I really can't afford a new machine at the mo.

Thanks in advance
Mark

I don't know the machine but would suspect the damaged bearing is no longer allowing the bottom wheel to run true and may be throwing the tracking out.Wait for the replacement to arrive and re-assemble carefully and it might be OK.Continuing to use a damaged machine is almost certainly increasing the damage done.

What bearing are you talking about?
If its a wheel bearing that has come out of the hub then of course you cant use the machine untill a new bearing is installed.
DO NOT try to adjust the wheel alignment, you will make things much worse.

If the new bearing wont go in, or wont stay in, then the wheel hub is damaged and you would need a new wheel. That might be the same cost as a new second hand machine though.
Fix one problem before you start making more.

Hi,
Thanks for the reply. I should have explained better. The bearing was one of the guide bearings not a wheel bearing. Although I do think the issue is mechanical rather than just a normal bandsaw tracking one. Still scratching my head.
Thanks again
Mark

When the bearing went, it probably damaged the blade.
Your symptoms of the saw not cutting straight is a common issue when you hit one side of the blade with something you shouldn't have. Time for a new blade.

New blade by itself is still likely to track sideways without a side bearing. Especially if you try to cut too quickly.
New bearing, new blade, job sorted.

Latest posts

Back