Bandsaw wheel balancing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heath Robinson

Established Member
Reaction score
My little bandsaw, an Inca 342, has a fairly bad vibration to it. I've narrowed the culprit down to the top wheel, by running it with the blade off, and a few different blades on it.
I've cleaned the lumps of glue off the wheel that it's last owner had applied along with it's new tyres, and tickled the tyres with some sandpaper, all to no avail. I'll order a new bearing when I can track down what size I need, although there doesn't really seem to be any play at the moment.
Does anyone have any other cunning ideas? Short of the expensive option of sending it to an engineer to get it balanced, I'm stumped, so would really appreciate any clues.
Thanks,
Jake

Is the top wheel out of balance? If you spin it does it always stop in the same place?
if so add weight to the opposite side untill its stop randomly
is it running true? side to side and in and out?
My inca wheel will run for perhaps 30 seconds before stopping

Ian

Here's what I did, though my saw has 30" wheels so you'll probably have to use smaller weights:

1. Obtain a dial indicator, and set it up to measure the vibration at your table. You'll need to have the dial indicator attached to something not touching the bandsaw. You're using this to measure the vibration as you balance the wheel.

2. Get something to use as balancing weights. I used stick-on tire weights used for balancing car wheels. These may be too heavy for you, but you can cut them down to size.

3. Take your first weight and tape it to the inside of the wheel rim. Mark the location Run the saw and measure the vibration. Take off the weight, and move it 1/4 of the way around the rim, remark, retape, and remeasure the vibration. Repeat until you've got 4 locations.

4. Take the location where the vibration was least. That's your spot to add weight. If two locations had almost the same vibration, add the weight half way in between. Put the original weight in the location, run & measure. Add weight and see if the vibration gets any better. If so, add more weight. If not, take some off until the vibration is minimized. Make sure you write everything down so you don't spend all day chasing your tail.

Kirk

Back