Bandsaw: What's the thing that helps cut straight?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ives

Established Member
Reaction score
Something like a fence or something? I think there were 2 names of things I need, that mine didn't come with. Can you get them cheap on Ebay or are they already cheap? Or can I somehow use a block of wood?

Also, there's this long metal thing that screws onto the edge of the table, closest to me, the only thing I see that it can do is catch sawdust or something. What is it?

The long thing screwed to the front is the fence support rail. You can buy aftermartket fences (Axminster do one, I believe) or you can make your own. I show one for the tablesaw on one of my DVDs, but the same could be made for a bandsaw, it would just be smaller.
The other thing you may be missing is a mitre fence. But mitre fences on bandsaws are not a lot of use unless you have already tuned your saw to perfection, so that there is no drift at all and it is cutting true north. It's not sufficient to compensate for drift, it needs to be eliminated in order for the mitre fence to be any good at all.
S

it might help if someone could put up an article on how to fine tune a bandsaw, I'm sure lots of us would find it interesting

Hi, Ives

A lenght of 2x2 and a couple of clamps is the cheapest way of making a fence.

Pete

You can't go far wrong buying one (or all!) of Steve Maskery's DVDs, full of great practical ideas that are cheap to produce, and are well presented which make them all the more enjoyable to watch.

RogerP":2x5tbwgm said:
Ives":2x5tbwgm said:
Is this the thing I need, or the one that's too precise?
http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-sm ... rc=froogle

Really only suitable for the smallest bandsaws. What model is your saw?

Black and Decker DN339. I think it's small.

It would be nice to buy all these dvds everyone recommends but I can't afford it!

I like the 2x2 plus clamps idea. I think we have some pine 2x2, in long lengths. I wonder how much clamps are. Can you get those at B&Q?

Now wouldn't be the time for a tool gloat and mention that at the Axi visit they had various quickclamps up to 600mm long for a fiver each would it?

thought not :lol:

It wouldn't matter how many you buy, there will always be that job where you could do with more!

Shane":23lhwuq5 said:
You can't go far wrong buying one (or all!) of Steve Maskery's DVDs, full of great practical ideas that are cheap to produce, and are well presented which make them all the more enjoyable to watch.

Except the ones in which Steve wears his multi-coloured Rugby shirt... :shock: :shock: :shock:

At least I think it's a rugby shirt! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers Steve! :wink:

Tinbasher":3kqfvnd0 said:
Do you have to remove that axminster fence every time you change the blade? It appears to cover the blade slot.
Yes, unless you cut the fence rail in half and reinstall it leaving a blade thickness gap - works fine on my 350n. :)

Latest posts

Back