Bandsaw v's Table saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artfu1d0dger

Established Member
Reaction score
I am new to woodworking, it's something I've always wanted to do but sadly never had the time.
I've now managed to find the time and the space to put together a workshop

After a few small projects and a steep learning curve i am now looking at building a workbench. My friend has kindly donated a number of oak beams which were excess on a building project. They all vary in length but on average they are 8ft x 8" x 4". I want to rip these To various sizes for the legs, worktop, stretchers and braces. I have a planer thicknesses to clean up the beams but I would like to purchase a saw

Therefore after all my waffle, which type of saw would be best for a first workshop: table saw or bandsaw

Bearing in mind I want to rip some 4" thick oak beams lengthways. I had originally decided on a table saw - the ts200 from Axminster but now I don't know if a bandsaw would give me more added value for future furniture projects!

Could a bandsaw stand up to cutting 4" thick oak beams?

Any input would be greatly appreciated

Neil

The right bandsaw and blade would rip through oak fine. You will have to make 2-4 passes with most table saws to resaw 4" material and your looking at 12" bladed TS that may require 16amp supply to do it in one which isn't safe on a normal TS to do it in one regardless of blade size. A rip table saw would but they require 3 phase power. Bandsaw would be safer.

A TS would also remove more material. Either way you will need a thicknesser and maybe even a planer (or combo machine) Unless you plan to do that with hand tools.

I wish I had listened more carefully to people before I bought my tablesaw. Although a tablesaw is very useful I now find that I use the bandsaw, which I bought much later, for almost all my machine cutting. Lots of woodworking books say that you should buy a table saw first, but a bandsaw is so much safer to use! A bandsaw has no kick back and this is perhaps the most dangerous aspect of a circular saw. A bandsaw also wastes less wood. A second hand Inca, Kity, Record power, or even an axminster will all leave you money spare for a jointer/thicknesser.

Neil said
(I have a planer thicknesses to clean up the beams but I would like to purchase a saw)

He has one of those

what bandsaw would you recommend with a budget of £350-£400 max

sorry to hijack thread :roll:

Dave

Same bandsaw as mine (Axi 350). And yes ill confirm it will cut 4" Oak just fine with a decent tuffsaw blade. On a hole im not as happy with the bandsaw as I was when I first got it and wish I had gone for a better model or make.

You can get a table saw that will run on 240v that will cut 4" no problem, but as already has been said you will probably need a 16amp supply for it.

If the Axminster TS200 is the sort of budget you are looking at you will probably be better buying a second hand bandsaw as you will get more for your money.

On a saw bench you should always cut through in one go, taking the guard off and making a cut and turning it over is a very dangerous operation as the saw can pick up the wood and hit you in the face, or if you are lucky like one muppet I use to work with go over you head and bounce down the workshop ( this was a bit of Oak 36" x 6" X 6" ) just missing a couple of other workers, anyway once he got over the shock he got another when the boss gave him his P45.

The best bet would be to work out what you need and give the local joinery shop £20 for the tea and biscuit fund and get them to rip it for you.

Tom

I was originally hooked to the tablesaw but with advancing age I feel safer and more comfortable using a bandsaw as long as I dont trip into that moving bandsaw blade, there is no guard to a bandsaw, just the timber object you are cutting but that comes to an end.

The table saw does cut cleaner on the whole and sometimes you can get away gluing up pieces without any further preparation, but the BS cuts deeper and deeper and deeper than any tablesaw.

Personally I would not buy either based on the needs of a single project, I would ask the OP what his future aims are.

Roy.

Back