Bandsaw use of guide/guard

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRITON

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Just read an article of a worker in a metal shop who has managed to cut off his own arm, at the shoulder.
Clearly the reason this happened, though my first impression given its a bandsaw was it was deliberate, but after reading it was at the shoulder it , speculation, would appear he's lent forward with the guide up to its highest and leaned right into it.
There's likely to be more info somewhere in a US news outlet, but it does give a warning to all with deep capacity bandsaws, to keep the guard right down and not get into the habit of having it up for every job.
Accident happened in Lewiston,Maine.

In my old job i have used big bone saws, with about 18" depth of cut, and the speed it goes through bone is pretty damn quick so its quite understandable how this could have happened to get all the way through. Maybe he was leaning to far in and his feet slipped. But the warning is clear.

What a horrifying thing to happen.
Makes the case for a large table.
Wouldn't be all to keen to go back to a compact machine, now I've gotten used to the 24" machines huge table.
Less dusty too.
Sorry no piccies of push blocks for a safety thread, although there's no blade on the thing.
Suppose it looks like a tripping hazard with the base from this pic, but the feet are beyond where I can stand due to the table.
Nice to have an off switch (or two) close by aswell.
SAM_0939.jpg

That must have been a big bandsaw with plenty of power, the guy was almost topless or someone fed him through because my BS400 may do a finger if you let it but no more. If you were to fall on it the table is the first point of contact and clothing would just jam the blade.

Could see how it might happen with this machine.
Best hope that the guidepost is accurate enough to adjust height without fiddling with guides, or it just might get left at a default position.

Makes a case for incorporating adjustability in the design of the post on all machines.
Not that we know what kind of machine it was.
eyJidWNrZXQiOiJkb25lZGVhbC5pZS1waG90b3MiLCJlZGl0cyI6eyJ0b0Zvcm1hdCI6ImpwZWciLCJyZXNpemUiOnsiZ...jpeg

I have a few big horticultural machines and I have put hi viz tape around any areas that could cause injury or catch clothing etc just as a gentle reminder to myself. I have done the same on my circular saws. and about to do the same on a small bandsaw. As far as guards go there there for a reason and as said should be as low as possible. Saying that the guard on my circular saw is a complete pain as when its down you can't see the blade properly and its very temting to use it up to see better hence the tape to remind me I am getting close to the blade.
Alasdair

That E stop is nicely placed on that Grigio, it looks like it could be the first point of contact if you did fall on it. Humans have one real drawback, when they fall they tend to stick there arms out automatically before realising what it is they are about to touch, be it a saw, hot oven or barbed wire.

Just read an article of a worker in a metal shop who has managed to cut off his own arm, at the shoulder.
Clearly the reason this happened, though my first impression given its a bandsaw was it was deliberate, but after reading it was at the shoulder it , speculation, would appear he's lent forward with the guide up to its highest and leaned right into it.
There's likely to be more info somewhere in a US news outlet, but it does give a warning to all with deep capacity bandsaws, to keep the guard right down and not get into the habit of having it up for every job.
Accident happened in Lewiston,Maine.

In my old job i have used big bone saws, with about 18" depth of cut, and the speed it goes through bone is pretty damn quick so its quite understandable how this could have happened to get all the way through. Maybe he was leaning to far in and his feet slipped. But the warning is clear.
These would cleave you in two

Maybe it was a meat processing plant ? Horrifying ….

I know someone locally who cut the top of a finger off. He thought it a good idea to put a circular saw blade in an angle grinder … gawd !!!!

I have a few big horticultural machines and I have put hi viz tape around any areas that could cause injury or catch clothing etc just as a gentle reminder to myself. I have done the same on my circular saws. and about to do the same on a small bandsaw. As far as guards go there there for a reason and as said should be as low as possible. Saying that the guard on my circular saw is a complete pain as when its down you can't see the blade properly and its very temting to use it up to see better hence the tape to remind me I am getting close to the blade.
Alasdair
Many years ago I had to process some photographs of an industrial accident at a factory in Letchworth. The chap had been using a large table saw with the guard raised. The assumption was that he had slipped or stumbled, anyway he fell head first into the blade. He was found by a workmate when he didn't turn up for his tea break.

Many years ago I had to process some photographs of an industrial accident at a factory in Letchworth. The chap had been using a large table saw with the guard raised. The assumption was that he had slipped or stumbled, anyway he fell head first into the blade. He was found by a workmate when he didn't turn up for his tea break.

:eek: Horrific!

Old boy I used to deal with used to run a very old estate sawmill. He had three fingers missing because someone started the band saw while he was sharpening it with a file. You have to be very careful and keep an eye on everybody around you. Also isolate any machinery when working on it.

Bandsaws give me the hebygeebies.

I saw a mill once that had a vertical saw with about 6' of blade visible. If you stood in front of it you couldn't see the thing and you were able to walk right up to the blade when it was running.

I reckon it would just unzip someone completely if they walked into it.

Thats exactly the type of machine they used. It was massive and used for mainly for cutting posts etc but from very large trunks but every time I was there there were no signs of guards. Old fashioned and very dangerous even when you know what your doing.

Back