Bandsaw Tyre replacement

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rs6mra

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anyone please advice when the tyres on a bandsaw need to be replaced?
Below are photos of the tyres in mind from a bandsaw I bought this week.

Attachments

• 5490487E-5782-41CF-846E-E7C0656B4770.jpeg
    5490487E-5782-41CF-846E-E7C0656B4770.jpeg
    105.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 486210DF-6ADB-4F04-99DB-61351156C901.jpeg
    486210DF-6ADB-4F04-99DB-61351156C901.jpeg
    102 KB · Views: 0
well i would only replace when they dont work...
if theres lumps missing or loose ends flapping around replace
but if the whole tyre looks like your pictures theres years left in them

The previous owner did state that they had been replaced but when I saw them after having removed the blade with the cracks on them it got me thinking

a wipe over with acetone and a rub with 240 grit and should see them right, if they are not letting the blade slip I would leave alone

Be interested to see if tires like these can work on a small saw like this,
as they look similar to the ones on me auld fellas machine,
Not that I've properly tried fettling it, but just found the machine would drift either size of the line
even when cutting measly pallet boards. (jointed on edge)
Be interesting to see if I could make the thing work sometime, but am not expecting much with those tires.

I'd be keen to see anyone with decent tires using the fence for ripping, not freehanding
to a line on a machine like this.
Smikey posted this video before, and is about the only video I've seen where someone was successfully using the fence on a similar sized saw.

Should you be looking for replacements, maybe a consideration to see what results folks are getting from whatever tires these are made from, and if they will work well for something maybe a bit wider.
I haven't looked into it to see.

Or if the shaft and tension assembly is skookum enough, possibly worth looking into what flat tires are capable of, like the results folks getting from Kity or Inca machines,,
(since you mentioned about not looking to make tight radius cuts previously)

Felder has some new green tires coming out, should it be a third party might be worth looking up, (down the road yet)
I haven't came across anything via basic google search.

Might it be worth making your own if all else fails, regarding performance
there is rubber and gasket material you can buy very cheaply which might just be the closest thing to match performance of some slightly larger machines.

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/anyone-had-success-with-homeade-bandsaw-tyres.104443/page-2Tom

Last edited:
Maybe someone who's got a similar sized machine as your little Multico drops by, who gets results like in the video?

Be interested to see what type folks are using, should they use theirs for ripping,
using fence and somewhat wider blade,
be it vulcanized real rubber, fake rubber, or urethane.

Not sure if modern machines of this size are built with such a thick frame, certainly stiff enough to take something capable, should one be able to upgrade assembly
and bearings/shaft are up to the task, then likely could be made into a more capable machine.
If still the case and saws of this size are still made as heavily, or heavier again with cast iron wheels, then from what I've seen... it seems like the manufacturers aren't even trying to produce something with potential, in favour for bells and whistles. 🙃

Last edited:
Back