Bandsaw TPI help needed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raymond UK

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just upgraded to a Record BS250 from a Clarke CBS190.

It feels a lot more robust and height of cut and throat depth are a little bigger which is a bonus.

The blade that comes with it is a 1/4 inch blade with 6 TPI. It cuts quite rough. Looking to buy a better blade but they seem to come in 4,6,8,10,14,18 and 24 TPI.

Is it just a case of more TPI the finer the cut?

I'm cutting small letters (50/70mm) and various shapes out of 18mm pine.

Thanks in advance

Ray

The tooth count sounds about right-hand may just be a blunt blade.

You should aim to have 3 teeth in the cut at a time, so inch thick boards need 3 teeth per inch, 1/2 inch boards 6 teeth per inch etc. The bore teeth, the better the cut but the less ability to clear sawdust. If they can't clear the dust created, you start getting wavy cuts and other problems.

Realistically you don't want to be constantly changing blades on every job, so if you are typically cutting 12-18mm stock, 4-6 tpi should work out well and use for both. The other kicker is that you can't easily get blades with less than 3tpi, although skip tooth effectively is, so if you are cutting 4" stock, or deep ripping you just have to use what you have and go slowly.

The depth of the blade will dictate how tightly you can turn corners. There will be a guide online with the turning radius each can do, but 1/4" sounds about right.

Tuffsaws always get a good writeup and they are good blades. Other branded blades have also served me well. I think my current is a starrett, and I have used Axminster ones in the past. Avoid the non branded cheapies, particularly those from the likes of Screwfix.

18 mm pine is easier to cut with a scroll saw. Not quicker mind, just easier and with less chance of losing a finger or two.
make sure you have the blade cover down almost touching the wood when working with stuff that small.

As far as blades. Tuffsaws. I've tried many others. I get ian to send his blades to me Cyprus because nothing can touch them for cutting ability. i think has a tibetan mnok blessing each one as he makes them.

Thanks to both of you.

I'll order another 6 TPI blade and see if it will cut any better. I actually bought this bandsaw second hand so I have no idea what the current blade has been through.

Bob, I use a combination of bandsaw/scroll saw to cut the letters. The tight curves I do on the scroll saw and the straights and bigger curves on the bandsaw. I'll be pulling my hair out if I did everything on the scroll saw :shock:

I had a scroll saw, me and it werent suited at all. I sold it to a woodworking guy who wanted to use it. i have just seen he has sold it again as he "doesnt use it"
Scroll saws require a very special frame of mind, and i dont have it. :roll: :roll: #-o
Ian is an incredibly helpful man. If you email him and explain what you want to cut he will advise you. But remember he has to make a living in between emails, so dont expect a 1 minute reply time.

+1 for Tuffsaws. If you email and tell Ian what you are planning to do/use, he will recommend a blade. The service I have received from them in the past has been exemplary.

Tuffsaws is one of those companies that you never hear a bad word about, from hobbyists to industrial woodworkers to slaughterhouses.

That's rare.

Trevanion":1ordx5qq said:
Tuffsaws is one of those companies that you never hear a bad word about, from hobbyists to industrial woodworkers to slaughterhouses.

That's rare.
Like anyone they aren't 100% perfect but by God does he make up for it with his customer service. Just reordering some blades for my bandsaws and noticed the last one was bought in 2017. I've given that m42 blade some stick ! Still cuts like a hot knife through butter just drifts a bit. Still got brand new crapminster blades in there packaging on the shelf- if times get really hard I might use one.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Engineering blades also

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Raymond UK":st55ukxp said:
Tuffsaws it is then.

I’ll give him a bell on Monday.

Thanks for the input
I had a useful chat by email with Ian Tuffsaw recently. I think he is getting so many enquiries that he isn't accepting calls anymore. Send him an email today and you'll get a quick respnse.
Brian

marcros" . Avoid the non branded cheapies said:
The ones from Screwfix are Starrett, and I have no complaint - they get them in on 24hr order, which is a lot less faff than ordering from Tuffsaws.

Cheers all for the replies.

I have sent Ian at Tuffsaws an email earlier and bough a 10TPI blade from Sawmaster on eBay to tie me over for now.

If worse comes to worst I still have the old little Clarke bandsaw tucked up in the attic.

Trevanion":9mi0ih5l said:

That's rare.

Is that the Tuffsaws in Wales where, I hear, they are rather good at rugby? =D>

Had an email back from Ian yesterday, order processed today and blades should be with me soon.

Nice to find firms with proper customer service again.

Thanks for the input gents.

Got the 10TPI blade through from Saw Master and it's cutting pretty smooth. Quite slow so I expect the 14TPI to cut even slower. I might just order an 8 and 6TPI to see what's working best.

Latest posts

Back