Bandsaw table problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heath Robinson

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all.
I recently bought an Elektra Beckum 450 WN. After a bit of tidying, a new NVR switch and fence from Axminster, and a duo of tuffsaw blades it's almost ready to work.

The issue is the table, and it's incessant wobbling. The curved rails of the tilt mechanism are aluminium, and have worn. The steel locators can now move in the ally channels.

The people who do the Metabo spares can get half of a different, later mechanism, for an interesting price, which is not that helpful, and I'm fairly stumped.

Any ideas? I'll take a photo tomorrow to better illustrate the problem.

Thanks in advance,
Jake

So your trunnions won't lock down? Is there some kind of knob or lever to tighten them? There should be something--look for a bolt hole.

Kirk

There's a pair of long bolts that run through tubes on the saw's frame, and the arced aluminium rails on the table. These are tightened by Bristol levers.
The tubes protrude into rebates in the ally arcs, but these are worn meaning the table can move against these tubes, no matter how tight the bolts.
The bolts are not, and have never been tight within the tubes. It was the tube's protruding into the ally arc that held things tight, so now that the ally's worn, the table can move against the frame, and the bolts can't do anything to stop it.

If i had a mill and lathe, I could open the rebates out and make a collar for the tube I suppose, but I don't have access to these.

Wow--talk about separated by a common language--I have no idea what a Bristol lever is.:) I'm also not clear on the tube arrangement. Ah, well...

I'm going to have to wait for your picture to get a better idea of the situation. In the mean time, is there any way to get a small C-clamp in there to try to get the trunnions (the arced aluminum rails) clamped down to the frame? It won't be easy to tilt the table, but bandsaw tables don't get tilted that much anyway.

Don't worry, we'll get you fixed up.

Kirk

Latest posts

Back