Bandsaw stand for a BS250

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JSW

Established Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure I'll get some hate for this, but it started out as a "Couple of hours. Tops" project and turned into something else.

Hence the use of OSB.

(I can hear the murmurs of disapproval already :D )

Anyway. Long story short, I've had the BS250 nearly four years now, and it's always been sat on top of a bench, which is obviously WAY too high. Not been used a great deal in that time, probably due to the discomfort of using at eye-height. Anyway the factory supplied (yes, yes ... Tuffsaws, need to get in touch etc etc) blade finally snapped a few weeks back, at which point I just shrugged and said whatever.

Couple of weeks ago though, I was picking up some freshly sharpened blades from DB Keighley, and on the spur of the moment asked if they had any bandsaw blades, sure enough a 1/2" x 6tpi was on hand, so bought that and set about freshly installing and tuning the BS250. Great stuff. Back in action and all running true.

That's when I decided enough was enough and a stand at the correct height was needed. So off to the local timber merchants, and wouldn't you know it, been cleared out of 18mm ply no more than an hour earlier. Sod it, only a cheapo bandsaw stand, OSB will do.

Once started though, I realised the cut edges were REALLY rough, not from the freshly sharpened Freud blade, just naturally so. Ok so I'll run some softwood strips off and edge it all. What you see below developed from that simple premise. With hindsight I should have sanded the softwood lipping rather than take it straight off the Triton lunchbox thicknesser, couple of wee nicks in the blades are very evident now they're painted black. Finish is Screwfix No Nonsense quick drying gloss floor varnish. Oh, and the top is a piece of 25mm Egger flooring.

bs250.1.JPG
bs250.2.JPG

bs250.3.JPG
bs250.4.JPG

bs250.5.JPG

Attachments

• bs250.1.JPG
    bs250.1.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 570
  • bs250.2.JPG
    bs250.2.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 548
  • bs250.3.JPG
    bs250.3.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 547
  • bs250.4.JPG
    bs250.4.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 549
  • bs250.5.JPG
    bs250.5.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 546
A very nice piece of work, but I am greatly concerned about the whole thing tipping forward if those front drawers have heavy tools in them. It would only need a couple to slide open and it would fall forwards.

sunnybob":2u69ssa2 said:
A very nice piece of work, but I am greatly concerned about the whole thing tipping forward if those front drawers have heavy tools in them. It would only need a couple to slide open and it would fall forwards.

Thanks bob, and point taken, I'll check whether it's front heavy tomorrow, load the drawers up and see what happens with a bit of gentle forward pressure on the bandsaw. From memory the drawers are only around 280mm deep internal, maybe less, and will be used more for longer term storage than everyday. The top drawer is crying out for spare bandsaw blades I guess.
If it is a problem, I can always move the bandsaw to a more central position on the stand, we'll see.

Always plan for the worst case scenario, and it will never happen. =D> =D>

I think the OSB looks awesome! Very smart with the black edging.

Got any more pics of your very tidy workshop?

Tidy?
Those black spanners on the wall are not in size order and the head profiles point in different directions!

It's anarchy up there :)

MrTeroo":k6tqc38a said:
Tidy?
Those black spanners on the wall are not in size order and the head profiles point in different directions!

It's anarchy up there :)
OCD rules - or should that be CDO?

Cabinet looks really good.
I did have some reservations about OSB But with the edging it looks brilliant.

Very nice job.

There's something wrong with your workshop though.... Where's the leftover sawdust from the previous 3 projects, the unsorted scraps of wood, the bits of sandpaper that "still have a bit on them" and bags of tools that have nowhere to live?!
:wink:

Thanks chaps!

With hindsight the lighting on the stand isn't all that good and kinda makes the black trim 'blend' into itself, so for instance you can't see the tolerance around and between the drawers, which all went surprisingly well, considering every part of the stand was cut using a 25 year old DeWalt Sawking site saw, no planing, no trimming, straight off the saw. I guess my fence and sled are pretty accurate after all :D

OscarG":194deu17 said:
Very nice job.

There's something wrong with your workshop though.... Where's the leftover sawdust from the previous 3 projects, the unsorted scraps of wood, the bits of sandpaper that "still have a bit on them" and bags of tools that have nowhere to live?!
:wink:

If I had turned the phones camera into selfie mode, that is exactly what you would see, dammit man you must be psychic! =D>

Ha, you were worried that mine might be better :lol:

Very nice job and I think the OSB looks great for that job. I'd not want a feature wall of it mind.

Mine was a very "get it done so I can crack on" type job so here she is in all her glory

Just 5 bits of 18mm hardwood ply I had available cut with the tracksaw and screwed together with I think some 6mm on the back standard kitchen cupboard type arrangement. The top is just the 40mm oak worktop offcut that came out when I fitted the hob 3 years ago.

I was originally going to use dowels to help align it but frankly it was going so badly after drilling the first 4 holes I abandoned it and just used the screws on their own. It's not going anywhere anyway. For a first ever cabinet build and first real use of the tracksaw to a specific design, I was very happy to get the diagonal measurements to be within 1mm of each other. When I get the time I'll add some drawers or doors and roundover the worktop edge.

You definitely win this round. I won't even get started on the state of the workshop :lol:

48288086986_050ae5fb4b_c.jpg

Latest posts

Back