Bandsaw setup

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Help

I have a new Electra Beckum 316 bandsaw, and with anything larder than a 6mm blade it just will not rip straight.

It either runs out towards the fence or away from the fence and stalls the motor!

I have spent hours on the guides but to no avail

Mark
There is loads of stuff on the web about tuning a bandsaw. The effects you describe are NORMAL, and you have to learn to work with them. You can mimimise drift, as it is called, by altering the tilt of the top wheel, changing the tension (wide blades need more tension than narrow ones), and your rip fence should be adjustable by a few degrees each way as well.

Try here.

This is one of the pains of bandsaws, you will have to adjust it every time you change the blade.

Cheers
Steve

Have a look here:

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/pages/w00135.asp

Clear step-by-step instructions on bandsaw setup. Assumes you'reinstalling a blade for the first time.

I second Alf's comment on the necessity of a good blade. The ones that come with the machines are nearly always next to useless. The best by consensus seem to be Dure-edge blades.

There is also a very good article in issue 173 of Fine Woodworking: '5 tips for better bandsawing'. After following this I get no blade drift anymore.

Have fun. :p

RP

Mark

My bandsaw did the same and drove me mad until I fitted a Dure Edge blade to it. It no loger wanders at all and tracks dead true even on 9" resawing operations

Mark

Been there done that :D

It will come right if you keep at it.

But by choice would forum members who needed to rip a piece of 6"x 2" thick timber go to there table saw or bandsaw?

dw":55wjgtet said:
But by choice would forum members who needed to rip a piece of 6"x 2" thick timber go to there table saw or bandsaw?

Tablesaw, unless you mean ripping along the 6" plane - then obviously bandsaw!

Cheers

T

Tablesaw ideally - although mine does struggle with 2" thick hardwood. And if it didn't have one true edge it would have to be bandsaw.
Cheers
Gidon

Festool plunge saw (yes I really do hate my TS that much :oops: ) - just about possible as depth of cut is 2" with saw on guide rail. Bandsaw if I had one (patience, Neil :roll: )

Cheers,
Neil

devonwoody":3kpq2po5 said:

Do you mean like this
rippingcedar.jpg

excuse the dust spots.

Andy

dedee":31nm7ewq said:
devonwoody":31nm7ewq said:

Do you mean like this
excuse the dust spots.

Andy

Dedee, That's tight

Do you use KY jelly to get past ? :D

DW,

yes barely 1/4" to spare either side of the tablesaw and only 1" at either end of the wood being ripped. I need a bigger workshop

Andy

Latest posts

Back