Bandsaw runs for 5mins then stops ???

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScouseKev

Established Member
Reaction score
Can I please have some advice from you electrically minded bods??

I've found a 240v Startrite 352. The seller says the motor runs and works fine for 5-10 minutes then just stops ?

I wouldn't normally consider it, but it's only 15 miles away as opposed to the other end of the country .

Any ideas on the problem....thanks

It might be the internal thermal overload on the motor shutting it down, or maybe the main switch is bad. If it starts back up after a reasonable cooling down period, then it is likely a heat related issue in the motor. I would feel the motor before it runs, and then periodically while its running. If the heat is excessive, then the motor should be replaced.

It could be the overload set wrong or possibly the run cap, dam good band saws, if the price is right I would buy it.

Pete

Its almost certain to a motor problem, so knock the price down as much as a new motor. then you have a good chance of repairing it and making a profit.

Might simply be a wheel bearing seized up causing the motor to draw excessive current which trips any current overload trip in the switch gear.

Does the wheel/blade assembly move freely by hand ? (without power connected obviously)

Are the motors on the 352 of the centrifugal switch type? could be the switch is stuck on and drawing excessive current through the start capacitor. If when turning by hand can you hear a squeal coming from motor ? (rubbing centrifugal switch gear)

Either way purchased "as is" at the right price a motor replacement etc. should still be value for money.

Cheapest I’ve seen a 352 recently was gumtree £350 for a 3 phase so add £80 for an inverter, £430 running. That was with the original fence and mitre gauge. 240v on eBay are £500+ these days, there is one on at the mo for £799 but it’s been listed plenty of times with no takers. Yes I am looking to get one, but at a good price and near Aberdeen, so I’ll be looking for a while yet!

F.

Where the problem lies depends how old a model it is and whether it came from a school or college? Lots of ones from education have been modified at various times to bring them into line with current regulations. The original design has a contactor inside the frame which likely has a thermal overload mounted on it, not going to pull mine apart to check. You have been given some suggestions of where the problem could lie, after you have bought it post some pictures and we can give better pointers to where the problem lies. Use to run a couple of single phase 352s and found that with a fused supply they needed a 16amp fuse due to the starting current although someone might have played with the thermal trip not knowing this.. Now a days with mcbs this shouldn't be such a problem. I bought mine from a local school a couple of months ago and paid twice your price for a three phase model. Going to add a vfd so alls good.

Fitzroy":3ojexpc6 said:
Cheapest I’ve seen a 352 recently was gumtree £350 for a 3 phase so add £80 for an inverter, £430 running. That was with the original fence and mitre gauge. 240v on eBay are £500+ these days, there is one on at the mo for £799 but it’s been listed plenty of times with no takers. Yes I am looking to get one, but at a good price and near Aberdeen, so I’ll be looking for a while yet!

F.
Mine's only 20 miles from the Silver City, but you'll have to wait for me to hand in my chips :D

Back