Bandsaw Resawing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UKTony

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about investing in this rather than making one has anyone used it in anger or has other product options for log preparation on a Bandsaw

Many Thanks

DKG8.jpg

http://www.rutlands.co.uk/cgi-bin/psPro ... ,0,0,1|97|

What size logs are you thinking of cutting, I can't imagine it being able to handle much weight. A simple sledge type jig would probably do the job.

I put a rip chain in my Husky to get one flat face them ping a chalk line for the cut at 90 degrees on the B.S> once you have the two sides then the saw fence can be used.

Jason

Save your money; it's pants. No instructions on how to set it up, finicky, awkward, unwieldy and frankly not awfully good (but that could be because I haven't set it up right. But hey, no instructions... :roll: ) Plus you need to factor in the two guide clamps, which aren't an awfully good example of the genre either. They tend to slip IME, and the "scale", well what's it for? It slips out of the track as soon as the clamp is anything but horizontal. #-o The Clamp 'n' Guide (now Trend IIRC) and Perform ones I have are much better. If I'd paid full price with it I'd have probably chucked it back at Rutlands, but I couldn't face the hassle.

Cheers, Alf

I have no experience of that particular jig, but I'm considering making something similar. A while ago when I was searching for opinions on a Scheppach bandsaw I found this site which, although in German, has plenty of pictures of one apparently successful setup. It might be helpful if you decide to build one - and possibly more help if you run it through the Google translator.

As for blades for ripping logs, I bought a 1", 1.3TPI ripping blade from Dragon Saws which I've been impressed with. It gives the fastest cut I've seen on a narrow bandsaw and my 2HP motor hasn't yet been bogged down by it (the largest job so far was a piece of unseasoned hornbeam about 8" high). I have no relation to Dragon Saws other than as a satisfied customer.

Try a search on the American Woodworker site for resawing, there's a good article with plenty of tips.
Soapy

Back