Bandsaw recommendation

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saxtonlad

Reaction score
There are a lot of bandsaws out there. Could anyone recommend a single phase bandsaw capable of rip sawing/cutting 150mm by 150mm solid european oak up to 1.5m to 2m in length without coughing and straining. Accuracy with a good fence is important. I've looked on the web at the felder F600 but at two grand seems heavy money, and I have found that the felder people are persistent to say the least in chasing business.
I've had a look at the Startrite 502E, anyone use one of these. Are the big sceppachs worth a look.
There is no finesse for what I'll use it for, any advice would be very much appreciated. :idea:

Andy

I have heard mixed reviews about the Startrite 502E from members of this forum.

If you can make it to a demonstration store Axminster is a good place to have a go maybe have a play?

What sort of budget are you looking at?

I thought I should be able to get something good for £1500, but if that's not the case I will have another think and save up which is what I'm doing at the mo. To make this depth of cut I'm using my circular saw and turning the wood over when I get as far as the saw cuts. The remaining wood left in the middle is thwacked with an axe down the middle (tried using chisels but bent them oops) . A few passes on the planer and I'm nearly there.

Have you considered contacting one of the Italian manufacturers directly?
I was offered a Meber 400 delivered direct from the factory in Italy for 1650 Euro including VAT just six months ago.

Thank you Gerard, I haven't heard of the Meber. I have you experience of using such a machine. I will certainly conduct further research. Thank you to you too James C for your advice. Proceeding with caution

Andy

No I have not used the Meber. I bought an Inca secondhand in the end which is a smaller range bandsaw although it can tackle 150mm oak it is probably a little too small for what you describe. I did do a lot of research in trying to decide what to buy. Meber have been in business for absolutely decades and all the top bandsaws come from their neck of the woods in Northen Italy/Austria. I have seen them in lots of Dutch workshops and at woodwork shows. After owning and using a bandsaw for a while you start to see what is important in a saw. As far as I can see the reason Meber is not a lot bigger is because these bandsaws go on for ever. I also looked at a smaller Startrite. However the Meber is still built in Europe! If I ever need a bigger beast I will definitely consider it again. Poolewood usually has very competitive prices for many different brands in the UK. I have noticed that secondhand startrites and kity machines are not too expensive in the UK. Perhaps if you find an EX school machine it will serve you just as well.

I need single phase not set up for three phase. Seen the hammer videos and that looks an accomplished machine. With a 4hp motor should be powerful for ripping oak beams on single phase do you think ?
The meber also looks well built and some american forum users speak highly of their machines. Will have a look at Poolewood as well.
Thank you everybody

The Hammer is a pretty powerful machine. I have resawn 8" Oak on a 0.9Hp Bandsaw so you won't have any issue for what you are going to be attempting. I'm pretty sure that the guy converts some Green Logs down into planks using his Hammer so it's quite versatile.

Back