Bandsaw questions (and a cheap table saw)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi, I'm a newbie to the forum so I hope you don't mind me starting straight away with a couple of questions.

I'm looking to purchase a Record bs300 bandsaw (based on the good reviews in various mags) and wonder if anyone who has used the machine over a period of time has anything to say about the machine (a few months ago I was thinking of a Basato3 until I read some of the negative postings of long term users (problems that all the mag reviews missed)).

I've read quite a bit about tension indicators being a complete waste of time (i.e. The Bandsaw Book by Lonnie Bird). Does anyone know if the bs300 indicator is accurate or have any opinions on the use of tension indicators in general?

As for the cheap table saw, whilst looking for the best deal for the bs300 I found the Scheppach ts2010 going for £349 (inc. VAT) at Tool Shop Direct (I have no connection with this shop). Does anyone have any views on this saw, as I might try and sneak one into the garage on the pretence that its only a saw (what does she know!).

Many Thanks
Jezza

jezza":3thgm3jf said:
Hi, I'm a newbie to the forum so I hope you don't mind me starting straight away with a couple of questions.

Welcome to the forum.

jezza":3thgm3jf said:
As for the cheap table saw, whilst looking for the best deal for the bs300 I found the Scheppach ts2010 going for £349 (inc. VAT) at Tool Shop Direct (I have no connection with this shop). Does anyone have any views on this saw, as I might try and sneak one into the garage on the pretence that its only a saw (what does she know!).
Many Thanks
Jezza

I've seen one in the flesh and was quite impressed. I've got the Big Brother of this saw, the TS2500 and can't fault it. I think the 2010 is produced in the far east, but I'd say its an excellent price for a saw which will cope with a wide range of projects, and is basically well designed and safe. By that I mean its got a decent fence, its machined to a good standard won't flex, has enough power and is reasonably quiet.

Adam

Hi Jezza

jezza":1ykjly5z said:

Welcome to the forum and ask away.

jezza":1ykjly5z said:
based on the good reviews in various mags

I'm sorry but I do not have any experience of this bandsaw, however there is something that you need to be aware of in relation to magazine reviews.

Typically, where a magazine is reviewing an item it will be taking the price point into account. Just because an item got a good review doesn't mean that you shouldn't be looking at more expensive toys. :oops: Err, necessary machinery.

The old adage you get what you pay for normally applies with woodworking tools.

Cheers
Neil

Hi Jezza

Welcome to the forum

Afraid I know nothing about either machine but many members do, so wait around a short while and all will be revealed :wink:

Hi Jezza,

Neil is pretty much spot on regarding forming an opinion on a machine, I make an assessment on who it's aimed at, and what it's capable of, along with build quality and of course, the price among other factors when reaching a decision.
You rightly point out that magazines have missed points picked up by long term users, and this is where you have the advantage on reviewers.
What I see as a reviewer is based on an assessment over one issue, but this has to be made along with the rest of the products I have to look at, which can be anything from 10 to 20 or more depending on what I have scheduled in for that issue.
We work on 19 working days per issue so in that time I have to source materials for the next issue, unpack, review, write up and re-pack the stuff tested that month ready for collection, this is along with other day to day stuff, answering readers enquiries both mail and phone, checking websites for new products,and also often going out to review bigger machinery at the suppliers premises. Oh, and attending as many shows/tool launches as possible to make sure i'm up to speed with new stuff coming out.
This means time can be at a premium and the process has to be focussed tightly.
There has been discussions about long term testing on this forum, but unlike the American magazines we don't have the budget or the staff to do this, much as I would like to!
I'm sure Keith Smith and Alan Holtham if they are reading this have equal problems, and this reply is not meant to be an excuse for stuff overlooked, and not a cry for sympathy either, just an insight... I'm sure Alf will be the first to mention tea and doughnuts! :D

cheers,
Andy

hi jezza
i recently bought the scheppach 2010 at ally pally with the base and other accessories for £670. this is my first table saw so i cant really compare. I havent been able to get out and use to its full capacity as i am in the middle of insulating my workshop, although dare i say it the weather seemed relatively warm today. I feel the saw is quiet and has the levels of accuracy of some more expensive saws. For me my choice was between the 2010, kity 419 and EB pk200. i went for the scheppach because of quiteness, its motor size which i think is reletively large ( i may be wrong)
and ill be honest to some extent the name. The guy from NMA said that the saw was indeed built in the far east and i think the 2010 is to replace the ts2000. sorry about the ramble. as i say this is my first tablesaw but i like what i have got, it isnt stupidly expensive it has a good spec for me and will hopefully last me for a few years. Incidentally i am looking at the SIP 14" bandsaw which seems to have quite good capacities and a reasonable price. Have you yourself looked at this machine?

bad_hypertension":1hfz0bro said:
Incidentally i am looking at the SIP 14" bandsaw which seems to have quite good capacities and a reasonable price. Have you yourself looked at this machine?

No I havn't looked at that one. My quest will continue!

jezza":3iv5tzxk said:
Welcome, jezza. Fear not, we thrive on questions. :D

I'm looking to purchase a Record bs300 bandsaw (based on the good reviews in various mags) and wonder if anyone who has used the machine over a period of time has anything to say about the machine
Judging by a quick search of the archives, Old and Gidon both have one for a start, but whether Gidon can tear himself away from fatherhood long enough to comment is another thing! :lol: Edit: Tsk, it's a 350, not a 300, he's got. Silly me. :roll:

(a few months ago I was thinking of a Basato3 until I read some of the negative postings of long term users (problems that all the mag reviews missed)).
Ah, the advantages of "real life" reviews, and one the mags are powerless to do much about. Reviewing is a ghastly job, but especially without the help of doughnuts <sniff> :wink:

any opinions on the use of tension indicators in general?
They tend to get you "in the ball park", but really you get just as much indication from the amount of deflection you get from the blade when to push it with your thumb (power off!!!!!).

I might try and sneak one into the garage on the pretence that its only a saw (what does she know!).
Methinks you'll have no trouble fitting in...

Cheers, Alf

I'm sure Keith Smith and Alan Holtham if they are reading this have equal problems, and this reply is not meant to be an excuse for stuff overlooked, and not a cry for sympathy either, just an insight.

I can only agree with Andy in that reviews are often necessarily based on opinions rather than on hours of exhaustive testing. This can be argued both ways and I have been pushing for some time for budget to be allowed to establish some long term tests, very like the car magazines. This would give us the chance to iron out some of the issues that you, the serious end users are likely to encounter.

However, like Andy, no matter how brief I base my tests on 30 years experience working with woodworking machinery and am totally honest about my findings and I think I can form a good enough judgement to make the review worthwhile for someone needing guidance. You may think that we are paid to be 'kind' during reviews, particularly as you rarely see a bad one. This just does not happen, but unfortunately in the real world politics interveves and the issue of paying advertisers raises its ugly head. Personly as a freelance I do not allow this to influence me, but several negative reviews I have made have not been published. I cannot do more!

However we are still human and occasionally make mistakes. I committed a howler recently having overlooked a feature I slagged off as missing. It was only a few days later when I cam to use the machine on a 'real' job that I realised my mistake, fortunately just in time to get it corrected. :oops:

I guess at the end of the day you have to make your own judement based on your particular criteria, whether it be price, capacity or whatever. I recently bought a piece of software that had rather poor reviews but I have found it to be fantastic for my rather limited application. I rest my case!

Alan

Hi Alan

Alan Holtham":206o1ugk said:
You may think that we are paid to be 'kind' during reviews, particularly as you rarely see a bad one.

Thank you for your contribution. The point I was trying to make to Jezza, as Jezza is new to buying woodworking machinery, was that when looking at reviews you needed to be aware of the parameters being used. Who were the machines aimed at?

Labels such as "Best on test" and "Editor's Choice" don't mean that entry level machines will do the same job as a Festool or a Felder.

I have the greatest respect for the job that you and Andy do for us. I was just trying to help Jezza to be able to read the reviews a little more clearly.

I hope that clears things up. :wink:

Cheers
Neil

Alf":27zj0iuf said:
Judging by a quick search of the archives, Old and Gidon both have one for a start, but whether Gidon can tear himself away from fatherhood long enough to comment is another thing! :lol: Edit: Tsk, it's a 350, not a 300, he's got. Silly me. :roll:

I can tear myself away - well long enough to respond here anyway :). Welcome to the forum Jezza.

Alf's right - I have the BS350 which has larger capacity than the BS300, slightly enhanced wheels and more HP. But I had a good look at the BS300 too. In my opinion these machines are pretty good value for the money. Especially the BS350 with its extra capacity. Have a look at my review of the 350 - most of it (apart from the above) will relate to the BS300 too.

Cheers

Gidon

Latest posts

Back