Bandsaw Question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lin

Established Member
Reaction score
I have gotten an order for a large bandsaw box. I have cut a few of the smaller ones but not one this size before. I have a 2 speed 14" bandsaw with a riser block. I use Timberwolf blades. My question is...Since I got the bandsaw I have always ran it on the higher speed....3500 FPM. Should I be changing the speed to 1500 FPM when I cut this bandsaw box? The box will be made from cherry and I will be cutting approx 7" deep to cut off the front and back. The length of the block is around 13". I'm using the blade size suggested in the book the pattern came from..."Making Bandsaw Boxes".....Blade size is 3/16". The smaller boxes I cut were approx. 6" deep. I did get a bit of burning on one of three when I cut them. The burn marks showed up on my first try. The next two were much better. Is there a technique for avoid the burn when bandsawing cherry and cutting such thick wood on the bandsaw?
Any and all tips and tricks would be highly appreciated.
Thanks
Lin

Hi Lin
Cherry can be a bit of a problem for burning, can't it? I usually find it is caused by my router cutter being allowed to dwell too long in one place.
Slower speeds on a bandsaw could reduce the problem, I guess, but you would also have to slow down your cut, too, so I'm not sure that would solve anything.
I think your best bet would be to use a narrow blade (so that the back edge does not rub when you turn tight corners), and use a skip-tooth design, say 6TPI, so that there is pelnty of gullet to carry away the sawdust, without it being so coarse that you have a rough finish.
After that, it's just technique and practice.
HTH
Steve

Back