Bandsaw question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil A

Reaction score
Hi all, I am after some advice about bandsaw. I have an old Rexon laser (cheap and nasty) which keeps binding up when I’m trying to cut turning blanks. Wood is about 2” thick. Should I just start looking for a new (better) saw? If so, which is best place to look for second hand. Which is best spec to look for? Many thanks in advance for any info you can let me have.

What do you mean by binding up?

What blade are you using- width and tooth count? Is it a new blade? Are you cutting boards to circles for turning?

Bandsaws are fairly straightforward things, and 2" shouldn't tax even a cheap and nasty saw if set up correctly.

It’s the original blade 10 TPI x 6mm. I am trying to cut smaller rounds for turning out of a remnant from a larger (very dry) round. As I try to turn the wood to cut the curve, the blade slows and jams however carefully I cut. I’m cutting a 5.5” diameter circle

A 10 tpi blade is too fine to cut 2" thick wood. The tiny gullets fill up with sawdust too quickly.
Try a 3 tpi blade instead. Its bigger gullets can clear more dust and allow the teeth to continue cutting.

Phone Ian up at Phil's link above. Explain what you cut and what you need the saw to do.
For my inca I use 1/2" 3/4 varitooth, 1/4" 10tpi , 3/8" 6tpi. That covers everything I can manage and were bought on his recommendation. More than happy.

Back