Bandsaw Problems - please help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil Pascoe

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
:roll: Has anyone bought a Woodstar SB12 bandsaw? If so you may be able to help me. Looking at the machine from the front, on the adjustable slide that holds the blades supports there are two parallel identical holds. These hold two rods, the left hand one of which carries the screw adjustments and the wheels that support the side of the blade. The right hand one holds the rod that supports the wheel that supports the back of the blade. My problem is that with the side wheels adjusted perfectly when the back wheel is brought up to the back of the blade the rod is actually out of the hole in the slide, so if the blade was "sticky" for any reason it could jam and the whole assembly would then pull violently to the left. The blade is tracking perfectly and cutting perfectly, I can't see there's any other answer than that the rod should be longer (a good 12 mm?) but I can't believe that I'm the only person that this has happened to. I will go back to Woodstar about it but in the interim if anybody can come up with an idea or shed some light that would be really welcome.
sorry, in the second sentence the second holds should read "holes"

Can't assist here myself, but have a look at Steve Maskery's site. He has a wide knowledge of band-saws. He might be able to help.

Best of Luck :)

I have given this several good coats of lookin' at, and my considered opinion is that it is dung. Both wheels are on the same plane ( that is not adjustable). The blade is tracking perfectly in the centre of both wheels, therefore it's position going through the table is fixed. The blade supports under the table are in the correct place. I then position the side wheels perfectly on a 12mm blade ( if it were a 6mm, the problem would be worse)
If I then bring the rear wheel up to the back of the blade the rod would have to be about 15mm longer to sit properly in the hole.
It wasn't meant to, was it?! It couldn't be that far out by accident. Therefore, to save the cost of a piece of metal 20m x 12mm , someone decided to let it all rest on a little grub screw on the left side, when it would be much safer supported on both sides. For my sanity, I shall spend 15 mins. making a replacement part, rather than waste 15mins. firing off venomous missives to morons.
Sorry, should read"20mmx12mm"(before pedants like me strike!)

phil.p":38va8305 said:
I have given this several good coats of lookin' at, and my considered opinion is that it is pineapple. ....... For my sanity, I shall spend 15 mins. making a replacement part, rather than waste 15mins. firing off venomous missives to morons.

Phil,

In the circs, I would probably do the same. Sometimes it's good to know when you are wasting your time!

Best of luck.
John :)

A couple of days later, I spoke to avery helpful bloke called Allan at M.N.A. the importers, and ascertained that it is normal for the right side to be unsupported--and that the larger 'saws are no different. So, thanks Allan!

Back