Bandsaw Problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

me51ome

Reaction score
Hi, New here and hope I'm posting in the right area. I have a Clarke bandsaw which I recently purchased a wider blade for (16mm) as recutting was the more usual use of my bandsaw, and the 12mm blade supplied was not cutting straight lines for me. Since I've changed the blade (and I've now changed it back to check I still have the problem - I do), the blade has refused to start turning regularly. Sometimes it starts again after I've left it off for a while and I have just realised that I am suspicious the blade is sometimes running backwards as it has raised the wood a couple of times. After a wild chase of googling I have eventually come up with the possibility that there may be a problem with the startup capacitor? Does this sound likely to anyone, could I have cause the problem with doing something wrong when changing and setting up the new blade or can anyone give me some suggestions?
I've struggled to find good information on maintaining and running the bandsaw. The manual gives instructions on how to do everything but not really when you should be adjusting stuff and for what reasons. I can think of so many things I could do with it but I don't seem to be getting to grips with it and I may have a real problem with it now.

Thanks in advance.

It does sound like a capacitor problem. If you switch it on and hear the motor but it does not turn the blade then it is the capacitor. Replacing it is a simple task and they are only a few pounds.

A faulty capacitor wont make it run backwards. It will give the will it wont it problem though.

Dont go too big on the blade. Find out what the manufacturer claims it will take, and go down one size. Companies always oversell their machines.

Any GOOD blade over 3/16" will cut straight and true. even through wide planks

Back