Bandsaw on a mobile base

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodshavings

Established Member
Reaction score
I have fitted my BS350 onto a HTC mobile base but I am not very happy with its stability since the HTC appears to flex slightly. Am thinking of fitting a plywood base and bolting through this to the HTC.
Anyone any experience/ideas re this
Thanks, John

John,

A piece of ply should help with rigidity and I can see nothing against it. FWIW I bought an HTC base and hate it. Mainly because it is fairly flimsy and because the stupid little aluminium levers are so hard to use - especially on anything heavier than a feather. I use a cheater ( a steel tube) to operate mine.

I have vowed never to buy another. I can weld up a much better one with my little MIG welder and stick on some Machine Mart castors and the result is something sturdier that works properly.

John,
I have mounted my Jet jointer on a HTC stand-it too flexs a little in use, but it seems to work o.k. The ply approach should help but will probably add extra height-if this isn't a problem give it a shot and let us know how you get on.
regards
Philly :D

Thanks Chris, Philly.

I will give the plywood a go and report back but I am not hopeful. The CoG of the Bandsaw is higher than a jointer so a small flex in the base is made worse. I like Chris's idea - maybe an excuse for a new toy! but all toy money gone at present. On the otherhand, Christmas is coming.....

John

John - I have a HTC which works just fine with my table saw - but then it doesn't weigh too much. I've made a wheel base with some wheels from Axminster, a piece of MDF and some 2x4's but it lifts the saw up too high. American Woodworker reviewed mobile bases a few months back and the best came out as a Vega - not seen it sold here. Assembles around the machine and then you use a handle to lever it off the floor. I'm sure the plywood base will do the job - do let us know how you get on.
Cheers
Gidon

I'm using an HTC2000 on my Scheppach 2500 (130kilos roughly) and have no problems whatsoever. Very pleased with the base. Admitedly I don't move the saw around that often or that far, but never noticed any problem with flexing.

Which base did you buy John? - I think there are two in the HTC range, the cheaper of which isn't quite as meaty. That said, I've heard that bandsaws give these bases particular problems because they're top heavy and the weight is often not evenly spread....

Cheers,
Martin.

Hi Martin, it is the HTC1000, rated up to 135 Kg. I am going to fit a ply base and see how that works. Main problem now is to get some help in lifting the saw off the base! If no good, I have other uses for the HTC and will scratch build a mobile base for the BS.
John

I've fitted ply base to the HTC and is much better. Its not rock solid but that's expecting too much. I am now thinking of making a wall mounted support that I can clamp on the band saw pillar for when I am resawing long pieces of stock and need the rigidity.
So far, I am very pleased with the BS350, just waiting for my DureEdge blades to arrive.
John

Latest posts

Back