Bandsaw newbie

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wilson joinery

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi there I’m new to the forum so please go easy on me!!

I’m looking to buy a bandsaw primarily to cut logs into boards that I can use for furniture making.

Now I’ve looked at so many different kinds that my mind is starting to boggle. However I’m pretty sure I’d prefer something used as the newer stuff in my budget (around £300-£400) doesn’t seem to be great when I’ve looked at reviews. My restrictions are I need something that runs off a 13a plug as I don’t have a beefy garage supply and also it cant be a heavy cast iron beast as I’ve only got access to my garage workshop through the house.

I’ve seen this not far from where I live:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/4880087262087881/
3C195CC9-192B-4796-9CB9-A440BC66DA69.png

What do you guys and girls reckon? Will it be good to use to rip fairly smallish logs (12 inch ish diameter) down into boards? I must say it looks in really good nic but I’ve got very little experience in bandsaws. Any other recommendations for this kind of price range and bearing in mind the weight and power supply restrictions I mentioned?

Many thanks in advance
Cheers
Pete

Depth of cut on that one is 160, or 6 1/2" or thereabouts, so 12" logs wont go through at their highest point or anywhere close to it.
A 14" costing 800-1000 will usually give you about 9 or 9 inch depth of cut and its going to cost you the best part of 1200-2k to get something new that can cut 12".
Second hand something like a 16 or 18 inch saw
Bandsaws are measured width of cut, not height, so a 16" might only have a 12" depth, or 18" you could get a 14" depth of cut.
For 12" logs you're going to need a big saw and new big saw are really expensive. 2nd hand obviously, so you'll need to find something somewhere like ebay and will need to hire a van to get it home.
Take into account it is heavy. You'll need one friend at least, cost of van, it might also be a considerable distance if you find something at the price you want to spend with the features you want, lunch and beer for friend, so deduct all that from the cost of any new saw and it drops it down a little.
Some companies like axminster tools have their own delivery trucks so its usually a lot cheaper if they ship it to you.
Something like this Single phase 240v, not 3 phase 415v is what you'll be looking for. This is new obviously.
https://www.recordpower.co.uk/product/sabre450-18-bandsaw-230v
2nd hand, not 12" cut but 8" and good power too and certainly far cheaper, something like this. But pick up only and a fair drive.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325025968915?hash=item4bad0eb313:g:hEcAAOSwS8diCq-Z&LH_ItemCondition=4

Last edited:
I'd be looking for something with cast iron wheels, something like a 400mm or 440mm wheeled machine at the very minimum for that.

3 phase dual voltage motors can be run from 13a household plugs
You just have to look for 240v on the motor nameplate, a VFD is about a hundred quid, and provides easily adjustable soft start which is easier on supply than using single phase motors.
My 600mm wheeled machine running idle 3hp motor uses about the same juice as a powerful laptop.

You didn't mention much about through the house, nor the ceiling.
It would want to be a bloomin huge thing that wouldn't fit through a door, as nearly all bandsaws are quite narrow with the table off, (which goes without saying)
and easily moved about, even a 24" 280kg machine, if lifted the right way, can be tilted to the floor mostly with one finger without more strain than it would take to lift a bed, and no I don't mean for a button for some kinda crane.
As long as you have a dolly or two easy peasy.
Note block underneath the other side of the saw, the taller that is the easier it is to move, could be four times as thick.
Screenshot-2022-2-26 Lugging a large bandsaw about.png

Just saying

Tom

Last edited:
A startrite 352 or similar has around 12" cut, but i dont know if its powerful enough ( 750w / 1100w? Different year models had different motors) to get through a 12" log

Another thing to consider is how you are going to cut 12'' logs. They are pretty da#ned heavy for starters. You will need to build pretty hefty infeed and outfeed roller setup. Need help to lift them on and off. You also need to have some kind of sled to prevent the log rolling during the cut or you risk injury and wrecked blades. It is doable with the right saw but better do some research before jumping in.
Regards
John

I agree with what everyone's said already. I have an older version of the saw you pictured - it will struggle to cut hardwood more than a few inches.

Unless you're looking to get wide through cut boards from your 12 inch logs, could you cut the logs down the middle with a chainsaw, or split them, then you only have 6 inches of cut to deal with?

Sorry seems like a dream…..
think u need a better place….from what u say even the logs will have to go thru the house….?
plus how u gonna get the furniture out….?
prob better to buy ready sawn planks and see how u go….
with the price of wood right now think hard…
sorry….

It's a nice idea to get garden trees and convert them into planks. Almost any tree will yield beautiful wood but you are looking at 6" diameter trunks at least to get even a few short planks. Ideally you will need a 2 - 4 HP bandsaw in single phase so your budget falls short.
If you do find one have a look at 'The little Ripper' , a jig sold by Stockroom Supplies, a Canadian shop who are good to deal with. It's a great jig to hold trunks on the bandsaw and allow you to cut accurate boards. You still have to let them dry for a year of course !

Sideways has written up about a refurbishment of a SCM Bandsaw which I would have a look at, from it we both learnt a lot. The SCM S45 and it’s equivalents are probably not the right saw for you, for resawing, which is what you are doing, I would actually recommend a larger saw than the S45 which isn’t really capable of tensioning up a 20mm M42 blade which is the minimum of what you really need. As Ttrees has said, the bidder the better. I recently wrote a thread about blade guide theory which I would also recommend having a look at for insights into what to look for.
If I were wanting to cut logs into planks I would personally select a Wadkin PBS or similar which is a proper Resaw. It’s about the smallest machine that doesn’t need a out for the lower wheel. You really need to be looking for a Resaw which has a driven powerfeed for the stuff your cutting.

Amazing! Thanks everyone for all of the useful info. Sounds like I’ve got plenty more research to do. Ttrees thanks for the recommendation about the invertor, I’ll certainly look into those. IanB - you mention chainsaw and funnily enough I was considering some sort of chainsaw mill but thought I’d have more uses for a bandsaw. The hunt goes on but at least I’m a bit closer to knowing what I’m looking for now. Thanks everyone :)

@Wilson joinery
Plenty of threads on VFD/inverters here, but should you need further clarification since this a forum afterall, or which might make better sense of it all, then Myfordman's (Bob)
has an induction motor document volume 3? which is the best free read on the subject
by a long shot IMO, the link which can be found under his signature at "the other place"
definitely required reading.

It would sure open up your options into getting a decent machine, say something like a 20" 200kg machine, some Far Eastern machines like below with more compact column and table than others, and no different in footprint to something smaller like that saw you have linked.
Think you would have to get something at auction though, although I never check those options on the bay, as you might struggle to get something buy it now for say 500.
A very rough Centauro is sitting for 695 and not budged, although might be a bit larger again.

EB 315.JPG

Checking for coplanar .jpg

Latest posts

Back