Bandsaw mystery

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

condeesteso

Established Member
Reaction score
Where do all the fences go... does someone collect fences??
I watch ebay for used bandsaws (I only have 2, then there is always the upgrade option). I would guess as many as 80% of all used bandsaws on ebay are minus fence. I expect not to get the optional sliding mitre fence, but the basic rip fence seems to nearly always part company with the saw.
Even I can't blame that many missing fences on the bowl-blank woodturners :lol:

I suspect 'The Trash Can' .
For sure most supplied fences will have more than one component made of cheap cast white metal and the inevitable fall to the floor from a moments inattention or failure to stow correctly will result in the clamping system failing.

If the frustrated owner is not confident enough to make replacement components, the offencive reminder of the incident is likely to take a walk.

They are stolen. How many times do you see the expression 'please don't take a fence' on forums >

The fence that came with mine was so useless I made my own.

DSCN0471.jpg

I might have over reacted a bit - but really, it was frustration with the original silly person fence that led me into this madness.
Notice I have started a new trend of losing the table too.

Joking aside (nice one Graham!) I think it could be that some band saw users don't take the trouble to learn how to set them up properly. So they will try to do a rip cut, using the fence, and find that the blade drifts to one side. Rather than learn how to correct the drift, they abandon the fence and do a freehand cut along a line instead. Disillusioned with that, they give up on using the band saw at all, and put it on eBay.

So the well-maintained saws, complete with their fences, don't come up for sale very often.

Good idea there Richard, put your name on it as a deterrent to the fence collector. Unusual to find the fence 4 times bigger than the machine though... I think yours is safe.
Just a thought - is the fence fixed to the machine, or the other way round?

Believe it or not Douglas, thus far, neither is fixed to either.
I had assumed I would have to do some serious squaring and securing but I have not managed to move anything out of line yet, it all sits there under its own weight and stability; with which each is liberally endowed. :)

I think the name got put there when I ordered the girder. I have kept it on in case I ever mislay it.

Back