Bandsaw motor replacement.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexf

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a 10 inch bandsaw which has served me well as long as I keep the blade sharp. Unfortunately it has died and I have tested to make sure it is not the capacitor. Sip do not have a spare motor for this and they have no idea when they will be available. Does anyone know of another bandsaw which uses the same motor 0.5 hp.

Have a look at motor suppliers online, ebay and elsewhere. You'll be able to find a motor that matches what you need quite easily and a lot cheaper than from a machinery manufacturer.

I did this many years ago to upgrade the motor power on my startrite, made a huge difference to performance, so don't necessarily go for the same power, just match the shaft length and diameter, and footprint so it mounts easily on the machine.

Did you check that power is actually reaching the motor? How did you check the capacitor? Any smell from the motor? Does the motor even hum a bit when switched on? Have you checked the switches on the doors? Sorry for all the questions, but there's plenty should be checked before condemning the motor itself.

G.

Can you show an image of the motor and plate as I have a spare motor but would need to check if it is correct for you

Phill05. Here is the label from the motor. There is no power marked so I have included the bandsaw label also

Attachments

• bandsaw label.jpg
    bandsaw label.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 26
  • motor label.jpg
    motor label.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 26
Have a look at motor suppliers online, ebay and elsewhere. You'll be able to find a motor that matches what you need quite easily and a lot cheaper than from a machinery manufacturer.

I did this many years ago to upgrade the motor power on my startrite, made a huge difference to performance, so don't necessarily go for the same power, just match the shaft length and diameter, and footprint so it mounts easily on the machine.
The motor is definately burnt out but I am having difficulty finding a motor which will fit the mountings . This is a photo of the motor mounting flange.

Attachments

• motor flange.jpg
    motor flange.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 31
A quick google came up with this supplier, I haven't used them and others are available, but is an example to start with

https://www.motors-direct.co.uk/electric-motors/1-ph-motors/1ph-motors-cap-start-/-cap-run.html
Their data sheet gives three different footprint options, one of which should hopefully work for you as they are pretty standard as far as I know http://www.motors-direct.co.uk/1PH Cap Start-Cap Run Data-Dimension Sheet.pdf

If still not sure then maybe contact them and ask for help. I would definitely consider taking the opportunity to upgrade the motor power at the same time, dependent on your needs and cost differences of course.

Good luck :)

Alexf,
Sorry I am no help the motor I have has no plate on it only 1475 rpm so I don't know what it is capable of and the flange fitting is different.

That motor does not look like a standard fit, there was a post recently where some one got a motor rewound in Edinburgh but cannot find the post. This may be your best option, there was another post with a similar motor but the part that allowed belt adjustment was not part of the motor.

That is a bespoke mounting flange. I'd look for a suitable capacitor start and run 1/2hp B14 (face mount) motor then cannibalise the old motor taking the front plate and fix to the new motor.
You might have to take off the connector box holding the capacitors and mount it nearby if there is not room.

or just modify the flange mounting plenty of ways to get belt adjustment even if u have to add an idler pulley....
I bought a new 1/2hp motor last week. made in Italy and was slightly less than a £100
so that might give u an idea regarding getting it rewired....
Even if the rewire/rebuilding of the motor was say £35-40 more than a standard motor,
go for the rebuild...will make ur life so much easyier....

So I took the advice and went looking for a company who could rewind the obviously dead motor, and found a terrific bunch of guys in Edinburgh called Claremont Electric Services, who do electric motor rewinds.
I have no experience of them, just remembered the post as did @Spectric
I too have a bandsaw (DeWalt) with no motor or pulley but was given it to see if I can get it running. It's a rainy day project.
Best of luck
Martin

I have now taken note of that company, sounds like could be handy for motor issues but no one has posted cost, but as said it is your best option as the motor is not a std off the shelf as far as frame size or mounting goes, and who knows what shaft diameter.

Back